Straight to Business

IMPORTANT!!

I added a kissing scene in the "Rally" chapter. I thought of it late one night and thought it would be a nice touch. So if you already read that chapter I would recommend going back and reading that part again. If you already read it with the kissing scene then carry on.

Spot's POV

Yes!!! I'm straight!!! Oh my gosh! I should be mad but I'm just relived. What was I going to tell the guys? How would I explain this to CJ? Oh my gosh this is perfect!

"So Spot, what's the plan?"

All the boys met up at the square after Denton left us. Everyone is mad and tired. Let me just think. What would CJ do...

"'Ight! Here's the plan! We ain't backing down even with our leaders in the dust. Today we protest outside the center and try not to get too violent. But if you need to you can soak some scabba's, we just don't want the bulls involved." This makes them laugh and I chuckle a little at my own wording, "tonight me and the 'Hattan boys will break Jack out. We'll figure it out from there."

I didn't include CJ in that. All the newsies feel betrayed by hi- her. She lied to her best friend. But me, I get it. She had to do this to survive. I've done some things I'm not very proud of. But they had to be done.

"We're with you Spot!"

I jump down from the statue and walk to CJ's apartment. Some boys give me an odd look, but I glare at them and they're fast to back off. My feet accidentally trip on the fire escape but I quickly get into her apartment. In this lighting I actually notice how tattered it is. There's a leak in the ceiling and there's no heater.

It's almost sun down. We spent the whole day in court due to how many boys there were. I look around and grab anything I might need to help CJ.

I get her bat and is about to walk out when something else catches my eye. I peak under her bed where I first saw it and immediately get up. It's her bra. Her bra is under the bed. I just saw it. That's... okay. It's fine.

Will she need it? Naw probably not. Well??? Now I have her bra in her bag as well. That's just dandy. Okay I better get out before the others wonder where I went.

-

Dave's had already left hours ago to get Jack. I went really late at night hoping to get her at the best time. I look around the sides and finally catch a glimpse of what looks like her hands resting on the window.

"CJ... CJ!"

There's no answer so I try again.

"Carly!"

I see the hands move back inside the room and I wait a moment before a rope is flung out the window. It reaches the ground and I climb up slowly. It was tiring, the window is on the top floor. But I made it.

I sit on the ledge outside the window which is just big enough for me to balance without feeling like I'm going to die. I see her inside. Her eyes look puffy from crying.

"Carly?"

"You don't get to call me that. It ain't my name."

She sits on the bed on the far side of the room. Her body is facing me but she refuses to make eye contact.

"CJ... I came to get you out."

"That ain't happening. They have guards posted outside of my room. If they hear me at all then I'm dead. Besides I can't fit through the bars anymore."

He keeps looking away from me with her knees pulled up to her chest. I can see the bandages that once bound her chest now on the floor.

"Why can't you get through the bars?"

She scoffs at me and shakes her head.

"If you haven't noticed my body has changed in the past two years."

When I don't say anything she continues.

"Are you mad at me?"

"Yes I'm mad. But I also understand why you'se did it. So please come over here and talk to me."

She moves her knees and that's when I notice her. Without her binder I can clearly see she's a girl. And... I- she's wearing pants. I feel like I'm violating her. I avert my eyes when she sits on the other side of the window.

"Get a grip, Conlon. I'se just a lady."

I shuffle around in her bag and grab her bra.

"Here."

She grabs it and starts laughing. That's the most genuine laugh I've heard out of her.

"Thanks. You got a tampon too?"

She keeps laughing and I roll my eyes. She seems more open now. Now that I get a good look at her, how did I ever think she was a boy? Her face, although it has some masculine features, looks way to feminine to be a boy. She has such a curvy figure. I thought she was handsome before but now, she's absolutely stunning.

"You done eying me? I wanted to talk about the strike."

I get back to reality and start to recall everything we planned. Although I really came here to talk about, well, us. The kiss and everything.

"So, David already broke out Jack earlier tonight. Today we had a peaceful protest outside the World and plan to have a meeting with Jack tomorrow at Tibby's to get our next move."

She shakes her head and seems sad and angry at what I've said.

"Jack's not going to join you. He made a deal with Pulitzer. I heard them talking about when he pulled up after their meeting. Spot, I don't think we should do the strike."

What is she talking about? This ain't CJ at all.

"Not do the strike? You were the one that got me to join! I didn't spend all my time and money just for you to tell me to give up!"

"I can't have more newsies getting hurt!"

I stare at her in disbelief. Wasn't she the one who said the pain was worth it? That with every soldier we lose we fight harder?

"What changed? I thought you were okay with getting hurt. For the greater good!"

"Yeah. Well not anymore. You know? When I first got here they let me see Crutchy. They said he was asking about me. When I got to his door, he wasn't strong enough to walk over! They're going to kill him in here! And any other newsie that gets thrown in here! I'm not letting these innocent boys die."

I'm angry at this point. She needed to stick with me. I thought we were in this together.

"Fine. Then I guess we'll finish the strike on our own."

I start to climb down then she reaches out to stop me. She grabs my hand and gets up close. I can feel her breath on my face.

"Please stay. If not for me then for yourself. I know at one point during our friendship you enjoyed talking to me. What's different now?"

I sigh and climb back up but catch on when she doesn't let go of my hand.

"Nothings different. You'se still my friend. So what do you want to talk about?"