Trick

Carly's POV

I wake up with the sun shining through my window. The nice summer heat radiates through my room. Wait... that's not the sun. I move slightly to feel Spot's bare chest flat against my back. His arm is wrapped around my waist, holding me in place. I can feel our legs tangled together at the foot of the bed. Good thing he hasn't woken up yet or he would be freaking out.

I try to slowly move away as to not wake him up but he pulls me closer with the hand around my waist. My ribs sting when he puts pressure on them so I just sink into his chest instead. I can feel his head in the crook of my neck and hear the little wheezing as he sleeps. I try to stay still as to not wake him up but I hear him stir and I freeze.

Don't do anything! Don't do anything!

"Hmmm... good morning."

His voice is rough from sleep but has such a tender tone to it. He talks and mumbles something into the back of my neck then I feel him freeze. It's completely silent for what feels like an hour until I'm being thrown onto the floor.

"Ew! Why were you cuddling with me!"

He threatens me as I start to get up off the floor. I grab my ribs as I stand up. They're killing me. At least my headache is gone.

"I was cuddling with you? That's obviously why you were holding onto me."

He rolls his eyes.

"Let's just forget this happened. I'se needing to get back."

He gets up and put on his shirt and red suspenders before climbing back out the window.

"See ya later, pretty boy."

I get up in a huff and wash my hair before walking out to the square. I can't get my suspenders on so I just put on a belt instead. He couldn't stay around long enough to help me while I'm hurt? What a meanie. Most of the newsies are already waiting in newsie square including some from other boroughs. I see Mush and walk over. My ribs aching as I walk.

"Hey CJ! You hear anything from Brooklyn?"

"Not really. Hopefully they'll join after today."

"Yeah. Jack went to get get Crutchy out last night, but he refused to come. The Delancey brothers got 'im pretty bad."

A heat of rage clouds my vision. I'm done with having those goons mess with my friends. Mush looks at me worried and sets his hand on my shoulders to calm me down.

"Come one CJ, let's just calm you'se down."

"They hurt my best friend."

"We'll get them, don't worry! Also, nice nose."

He chuckles a bit and I reach up to feel my sore nose. Of course he changed the subject. I'love take care of the Delancey's later.

"Delancey brothers caught me last night."

"I can tell! Your nose is all purple and big."

I punch his arm and turn when I hear the sounds of the bell. The gates open and everyone stands around waiting for instructions.

"Everyone remain calm." Davey tries you keep everything under control. Everyone at a stand still.

"Let's soak em for Crutchy!"

We all charge at the scabbers and start fighting but abruptly stop when the gates shut and the doors open to reveal a mob. They carry bats and chains.

"Jack it's a trick!"

We all start to back up and men aim for Jack. Quick thinking I grab my bat and swing it at two of the guys. They start fighting me and I kick them where the sun don't shine. I feel my hair being pulled and look back slightly to see one of the goons grabbed my hair. Another one grabbed the bat out of my hand and swung it at my crotch. Jokes on them.