Delancey's

Carly's POV

I start to wander as I head back to my apartment. I haven't had a lot of time lately to explore the streets. As a child, I used to play this game as my parents were out drinking. I would walk down the street and count how many pieces of trash I find. At one point my parents were in the bad part of queens and I collected 352 pieces of trash that night. I guess that's where my collecting began, it was just a way to deal with my problems.

I near newsie square and stop outside the dress shop that I live above. There's this beautiful plum colored dress in the window I've wanted since I was little. It has a satin corset with cream colored lace on it. I always thought it was the prettiest dress in the world.

"Hello there..."

I turn just in time for the Delancey brothers to grab me and drag me down the alleyway. The shorter one pins me to the wall with my hands above my head so I can't move while the other one grabs my bat out of my suspenders.

"This is how it feels."

He swings the bat into my stomach making me gag and try to hunch over just to be stopped by the bother holding me to the wall. To be honest I never dubbed them worth knowing their names.

They grab a cloth and shove it in my mouth to stop my squealing.

"You wanna know something lady? We know your dirty little secret and it's just time before we tell your short boyfriend too."

Now that's just plain rude. He's not that short.

He punches me right in the nose making my nose bleed. The taller one starts to unbutton my shirt and that's when I start to struggle for real. I don't like no one touching me. He pulls out a knife and I feel the blade cut into my skin on my neck. As he's bloodying me up I take the chance to kick him in the shin making him drop the knife. He staggers back but soon recovers.

"You don't know when to quit. 'Bout time we fix you up just like we did Crutchie."

A crazy smile creeps onto his face. Morris looks absolutely insane. He puts on metal rings and swings for my stomach. As he hits my abdomen the air leaves my lungs making me gasp for air. My lungs burn as I try so badly to hunch over to give my body some relief. He punches my face again with the hand not wearing the rings making my head hit the wall with a thud. My vision gets blurry through the pain. The brass knuckles hit my side at I scream in pain. I'm definitely crying. My tears mix with my blood.

"Get away from him!"

I hear Spots voice in the distance and soon my arms are released from the wall. I slump to the floor in exhaustion and pain. Spot gives both the Delancey's a good fight before they run off.

"Wait till Snyder hears. The bulls are on their way!"

When I hear that I start to get up and button my shirt up, luckily he only unbuttoned it slightly so hopefully nothing showed. My legs give out and I'm back on the floor again.

"We... need to get... o-out of here."

I start stumble crawl out of the alleyway with Spot trailing after me.

"Where can we go?"

"My apartment, come on!"

I trip while rounding the building to get to the fire escape. Spot caught me by the arm and helped me walk the rest of the way.

"Up there."

I point up and start going up the fire escape with a lot of help from Spot. He's carrying not only my bat and my bag but also me. His arm wraps around my waist as he drags me up the stairs. I'm coughing uncontrollably and might be coughing up blood as well. I can't really tell. We finally make it to the window as I hear the whistle blow while the bulls are running into the alleyway. I jump and roll through the window landing with a thud while Spot lands gracefully next to me.