Goodbye

(The OG horse girl ^^^)

Spot's POV

It's late at night once again. I get to the refuge and see the rope already hanging out the window. I hurry to climb up the rope. I wish to see my angel.

"Hey Cupcake."

She sits up from where she was laying on the bed. I can tell she wasn't asleep but I still feel bad for startling her.

"Hey, Spot. You got any news?"

I hesitate for a minute. I know she has heard about Jack. But I'm not sure how she would take the news I do got.

"Nothing yet. The strike is slow but steady. We're hoping to be done by the week."

Carly smiles and sits on a stool near the window. She looks so pretty in the moonlight. Pull yourself together Spot!

"You don't have to lie, Spot. Snyder told me about Jack. And added in the part where you guys were out selling today."

She doesn't seem mad. It kind of scares me a bit. She's too calm.

"You ain't mad?"

"No I am. But I don't got time to be mad at Jack. Just promise me you'll punch em for me?"

I nod and pull out a roll I stole this morning. It's a little stale but I hope she likes it.

"I got you this. I hope it tastes okay. You don't gotta eat it now tho, if you don't want to."

She shakes her head and places the roll on the table next to her cot.

"I'm not that hungry. How was the sunset?"

"It was quite nice. Very orange."

She laughs and snorts a bit, making me grin. She has the cutest laugh. Stop it, Spot!

"Well I hope it was orange. I'd be a little confused if it was brown."

"So do anything fun today?"

I know she didn't but I have nothing else to say.

"Well I'm having a great one now. Also, I get a great view of the Brooklyn bridge so I'm never far from home."

"How kind of ya. Ya know Davie invited me over for dinner one night."

"Why?"

She seems just as confused as I was when he asked me.

"Don't know. But ever since I've been using all dem big words. Like I'm and intellectual adolescent. What ever that word barf means."

She shrugs.

"Well, you used those words correctly."

"Great. Now I'm being all smart."

She just chuckles and shakes her head.

"Smart isn't a bad thing, Spot."

I readjust myself on the ledge and change the topic. I've been a little antsy on when Carly will get outta here.

"When do you think you'll get outta this dump? Know what orphanage they takin' you to?"

She looks away. By her sudden change of complexion I can tell she's distraught. Damn David and his big, dumb words!

"Actually, Spot, I'm leaving tomorrow. They found an orphanage for me."

"That's great! What borough?"

She shakes her head and keeps her face low. I can tell she's on the verge of crying.

"It ain't in New York. They sending me to Pennsylvania."

This gives me a minute. I sit and think. Just the thought of never seeing her again makes me furious. I stare at the metal bars of her cell and just let my mind roll.

"That ain't right. We're getting you out. Here and now! Grab your things."

She looks up and I see the tears in her eyes but they don't spill. They just sit in her eyes.

"How? I can't fit through the bars. There are guards outside my door."

"We'll make you fit. Come on."

I grab her wrist and start to pull it through the bars. When it gets to her chest she stops. I don't stop. I keep pulling on her. Just hoping somehow she'll squeeze through the metal bars keeping her from freedom. It's only when she starts whimpering that I stop.

"See? Spot, it's no use okay?"

She sits back on the stool and covers her face with her hands. Her elbows resting on her knees. Spot... what are you doing?

-
Carly's POV

A heavy object falls in my lap and look down to see a key. Spot's key to be more specific. I pick it up to hand it back to him.

"Why's you giving it back?"

I set it in his hand.

"It's your key. Ya don't go no where without it."

"That's right."

I takes the key hanging on the old twine and puts it over my head. Why would he give this to me?

"So why are you giving it to me?"

I hold up the key and admire it. It's a little heavy and old but I really like it.

"Like you said. I don't go no where without it. So you hold onto that until we see each other again. I'm putting it on your shoulders to make sure I get that back."

I start to take it off. I know what he's saying. There's just no way I'll be able to get back to Brooklyn.

"Oh Spot..."

He sets his hand on my lips to get me to stop talking.

"No. You are going to keep that. It's my good luck charm and now it'll keep you safe. Just promise me when we see each other again you'll have it with you."

I don't say anything and just nod. We both know we won't see each other again.

"Say goodbye to Mush for me will ya?"

I chuckle. He probably won't want to see me anyway.

"Sure I will. Race and Skittery as well."

He sighs. A sad silence falls over us. We know we have to say goodbye.

"Carly?... you're the most extraordinary girl I've eva met. I'm going to mis-"

He stops talking when his voice cracks. He seems like he's going to cry which is so out of character for Spot. He doesn't need to cry over me. I take his hand in mine and he looks up at me.

"I'll miss you too, Spot. And I promise I'll see you again. Until I do, all my stuff in my apartment belongs to you. Use my savings to feed your newsies."

I reach through the bars and give him a kiss on the cheek before he gets off the ledge. He just gives me a smile and starts to climb down the rope. I don't cry. I never cry in front of people.

"See ya later, King of Brooklyn."

"Always a pleasure with you, Pretty Boy."