Stealing Date

Check out this super cute picture at the top! ^^

Carly's POV

I wake up late and head over to the square to tell Mush and Crutchie the news. What I saw I was not expecting. A full on war was playing out inside the gates. Newsies and Scabbers were at war. I see Mush get hit in the groin and go to help him when I get stopped by the Delancy brothers right outside the gate.

"Where are you going?"

They lunge at me and I grab my bat to defend myself. I hit one in the groin with the bat and he topples to the ground as I swing the bat right into the other ones stomach making him double over in pain. I hurry and run past them to help the others.

"Crutchie! Where are ya!"

I run into the group after helping fight off some guys for Mush. I find him ripping up newspaper and screaming like there's no tomorrow. He looks so excited.

"Crutch!"

"Hey ya, CJ!"

He goes back throwing news paper and I turn just in time to sock a guy right in the jaw.

"That's gotta hurt!"

I laugh and holler as I throw newspaper in the air. I start to hear a whistle and the boys start running.

"Crutchie run! It's the bulls!"

I run off and see Crutchie getting dragged away by the Delancy brothers. I should've watched him more carefully. I know where he's going, and I'm getting him out.

-

All the 'hattan newsies meet up in the center to talk about what happened. I blame myself. And I know that a lot of other Newsies blame themselves too.

"They got Crutchie!" Jack screams in front of the statue with the bruised boys surrounding him.

We all scream in anger of our fallen friend.

"Now, here's what we gotta do! We gotta lay low for the day! Tonight Davey and I will take care of Crutchie."

This plan is flawed. They need to keep the energy strong. I walk over and stand on the statue behind Jack.

"No! This ain't how we doing it! I've known Crutchie for a long time and we ain't gonna let them have the satisfaction of seeing us sad and defeated! Would Crutchie have wanted that?"

They all holler a chorus of No's.

"So, we need to be as loud and as angry as we can! Show them that we ain't back'n down just because the got us once! And if we lose more then so be it! We will fight harder, stronger, and braver with every soldier we lose! Because we are a union, and we ain't back'n down!"

They cheer and I climb back down. Jack doesn't seem happy but he knows I had the better plan.

"Me and Davey will head out for Crutchie tonight. Until then race is in charge."

I nod and run off to Brooklyn. They are easy to steal from over there. The people there are clueless and rich.

"Hey, CJ!"

I run past the docks but stop when I hear my name be called. My feet skid of the cobblestone. I turn to see Spot waving me over.

"Yeah, Spot?"

"Where's you going?"

I look around.

"Where you think I'm going? I'm going to make ends meat and have fun doing it!"

He grins at me and stands up.

"Care if I join you? I hate to admit it, but I could learn a thing or two from you about stealing."