Chapter 3 - Who's there?

***

***

At the bark of the tree hid someone. Whoever it was seemed to have a keen interest in what Anaya was doing. She felt it. Someone must be watching her. No, she knew it for sure but she couldn't quite place where.

When the whispering sounds ended abruptly just as they had started and the only sound she could hear was her overwrought breathing, she knew that was her signal to get out of there.

Then, she heard movement from beyond the trees. Again.

It was formless and indistinct, like a swirling piece of shadow. She threw the spade on the freshly covered grave as if she had no respect for the person in it and made her way out.

Within seconds, she was out of sight.

***

He crept around the corner from the darkness and stood at the exact place where Anaya had stood a few seconds ago. The man wore a dark fur-lined cloak that made it hard to see his face clearly from the darkness. He looked at the freshly covered grave for a few seconds without moving or uttering a word then picked two broken tree branches and made them into a crucifix. He walked over the grave and planted the crucifix into the head of the grave.

Another streak of lightning struck. This time, it revealed part of his face for a brief second before everything went back to total void.

He was like a spook. One minute he was there and the next he was gone. Vanished.

It was as if he was able to dissolve into the very air itself and blow away with the breeze.

***

Anaya was back in the car and already on the road thinking about her next course of action. It wasn't clear what the latter part of the letter wanted her to do but there was an address and some sort of instruction.

"You must find him.

The one who knows all but tells none.

Make him show you the way.

The way to where it all began and

where it can be ended.

The son of Man arrives. Beware.

Don't worry, I will be here."

She didn't know what that meant or what she was to find at the address she had been given but she knew one thing for sure — she couldn't go anywhere else in the clothes she wore. She needed clean ones. With that thought came another one she hadn't realised was lurking at the back of her mind. Home. she had to go home. That wasn't the best idea but she couldn't think of anything better.

The rain had started when she set off from the cemetery and it was still going. Soft splashing droplets of water struck to the windows and windshield of the car as she drove forward. The weather was cold — extremely cold. Her lips would quiver at every second interval.