Chapter 13 - Dembe

***

***

The present.

"...and just like that, we penetrated through the bathroom door..." Anaya flipped the page to the next, trying so hard to keep her eyes open.

Reading the book had brought her into a new realm where even her sense of self was distorted. She didn't know what to believe anymore — unconsciously drawing symbols...Hands shooting lights...Dead bodies disappearing...walking through bathroom doors. These were just too many for her.

And she hadn't gone any further in her reading. What more was she to discover? Paintings can come to life? There are some creatures in the world that no one knows of?

She lurched forward to get back to the reading when the doorbell chimed. She shuffled to the door to see who it was. Anaya wasn't expecting to see him when she opened the door. It was the handsome bellboy from earlier. She leaned against the door frame trying her best to restrain the smile that so stubbornly wanted to leave her lips.

"Oh, hey, it is you...you..." Again, he left her speechless.

"Yes, ma'am. Sorry to bother you at this time. I had to deliver this to you." He pointed to a wrapped white box in his hands.

Seriously? At this time? She thought as she finally let free the smile from her lips. What could go wrong?

"Oh, it is alright. Come in." She ushered him in.

Finding the next available table, he placed the white box on it, unwrapped it and brought out a bottle of Ruinart Brut Blanc de Blancs. "Compliments of the house." he smiled.

Seeing him made her heart leap around in its cage. Such a strange feeling! Hearing his voice made her stomach flutter and she couldn't help but feel that way about him. His eyes, those brown eyes, were just refreshing to look at. And the way he moved, if the gods didn't have mercy...

She couldn't get her mind around how he was effortlessly looking handsome.

"You guys really offer the best service." Anaya managed to say before walking over to take the champagne from him. Then his hands brushed against hers. Her skin tingled at the touch. For some seconds, they froze, then they locked eyes. Her heart beat erratically in her chest so hard that she felt as it would burst.

"Ermm...maybe I should go. It's already late and my shift has ended." He muttered, making his way to the door.

"Or you can stay and have this drink with me?" Anaya found herself spewing these words before she could stop herself.

"Sure?" He asked.

"Of course, why not? I've had a rough day. I could use some company."

She sure had had a rough day but she wasn't sure that was the only motivation behind such a hastened decision. What would she talk to him about if he stayed?