Chapter 14 - Koobi Fora

***

***

The Past.
Three Hours after being Awoken
19th December 2016.

A white bright circular light with a radius of about fifteen feet appeared in the woods. The white tiles from the bathroom at the Wild Street Ale House could be seen from the inside as Kukua and Nia Afriyie walked through it. It looked like a portal of some sort. It had a lot of energy pulsating through it which could be felt from how the white light at its edges moved and the sound that could be heard reverberating from this circle. It disappeared the second they walked through it and entered the dark woods.

"Follow me," Kukua directed. Nia Afriyie was still recovering from her surprise. She couldn't believe they had walked through a bathroom door to a different place. How was that possible? Now it seemed to her that all those stuff they showed in the movies about portals and secret doorways that led to different worlds could actually happen.

"Where are we?" She finally willed her mouth to open as she turned her head from side to side like an owl trying to find something...anything...that could give her a clue of where they were. She found nothing. However, one thing was clear to her: They were somewhere deep in a forest.

Around her, a lot of trees were veiled in a fog and stood still. Darkness engulfed the entire place as the moonlight had been blocked by the canopy of trees. The cries of different types of night animals filled the atmosphere.

"Where are we, Kukua?" She asked again when Kukua strode ahead without answering her earlier query.

"Follow me, " she replied but this time, in a direct silvery voice which was unlike her.

Nia Afriyie did as she was told and followed Kukua through a narrow strip of naked land among the long grass that grew under the trees. The path led them directly into the heart of the forest. Nia Afriyie had a lot of questions in her mind and a bit unsettled about Kukua's behavioural change. What was she trying to tell her that has made her, the goofy Kuks, full-on serious? She thought.

As they scampered through the slender trees, deeper into the woods, Nia Afriyie felt a strong connection with her surroundings. It was as if she knew the place. Like she had been there before. As if on cue, memories of her at the exact place flayed her mind. She stopped unexpectedly in her tracks when it did. That was the place she used to find herself mostly in her dream as a young girl.

She used to have these dreams, or nightmares as she preferred to call them when she was young. They were constant. She had them almost every night until it finally stopped. In each of these nightmares, she would find herself in a very strange woods in the middle of nowhere with no one but just the voices of the trees as they called out to her. Virtually everything in the woods was one way or another communicating with her. It was as if they wanted to confide in her or reveal something to her. Whatever it was, she never got to find out.