Chapter 24- Anaya [Part 2]

Anaya stood in the still silence of the cemetery, scared, shaken, her only succour being that of the tree she had held tightly to

"She has to run!" Nia Afriyie exclaimed, looked at the owl once again, repeated the earlier chant spells and it flew back rushing over Anaya's head. It advanced ferociously towards her as if it was going to attack her or do something worse to her. It was the only way they could get her to run. Anaya screamed as she tried to fight the owl off her head. A shiver ran through her body like an electric current. Her first instinct was to run. And she meant to do it this time.

She bolted down the graveyard path like an Olympic champion at the starting gun. She increased her pace to an all-out sprint as the fog followed her. Her breathing hastened as she pushed herself through the thick whiteness. It was difficult to see beyond the fog yet, as she turned around, she could see the silhouette of something so stubbornly trailing after her.

"Oh, no! He is trying to lead her to her own death."

"She shouldn't get into that car!"

"Stop her!"

In no time, Anaya had made her way to the outside of the cemetery. The familiar sight of the town — the town she had grown up in — was made hazy by the fog. It was like someone had taken a white paint and had begun to paint the urban landscape that usually greeted her on the way outside anytime she visited the cemetery.

The town was awfully silent. No one was seen on the streets and no sound was heard. With no difficulty, she located her car. She knew exactly where she had parked it. With her hands which were shaking uncontrollably, she managed to open the car. She took a deep breath when she finally sat in it. Her mind was a scattered mess. Nothing made sense to her.

"Anaya? Anaya are you okay?" Nia Afriyie's voice called out from the back seat. Anaya didn't expect the voice, especially not at that time. It was low with a trace of huskiness and a whisper of power. Without thinking, she stepped on the gas pedal and the car moved at an abrupt speed.

"Stop the car! Anaya, stop the car!" Nia Afriyie cried out.

Anaya's adrenaline rose higher and higher as she drove ahead. She wanted to stop the car but she couldn't. It was as if her leg had instinctively been glued to the gas pedal and her hands, to the steering wheel. She drove faster — the fastest she had ever driven. Almost 150 km/h. Out of nowhere, a figure appeared in the middle of the road in the darkness beyond the headlights. Anaya felt a scream burst out of her chapped lips.

She stepped on the brake pedal with the same force she had gassed the car earlier causing the car to flip. It rolled over so many times as the lights swirled like some sort of visible cosmic energy with a deafening noise of the metal being bashed over the asphalt.

Her body jerked onto the dashboard, her head clashed with the window glass then finally, the car settled, its tires up in the sky. Steam flowed from behind and a hissing sound could be heard. Anaya groaned as she opened her eyes slowly tilting her head in pain to where the seat belt lock was. She struggled to free herself from the seat belt but all her attempts failed. With every lurch, she was rewarded with more pain. The seat belt had tugged against her skin and the airbag was already deflating.