Chapter 17 - Life Along the Nile

***

***

The Past.
Four Hours after being Awoken
19th December 2016.

Under the blazing sun that hung in the sky unperturbed like a celestial fireball, a group of people gallivanted. They were about twenty or less and they seemed to be in search of something. However, three of them — a man, about thirty and two women, twins, probably in their early twenties — seemed to be the actual ones doing the searching.

The man would, at the intervals of seconds, go down on his knees and put his ears to the ground as if to listen to something. His ears would pick up every single sound from afar...every bump, ripple or wave whenever he does that. He would then decipher the layers of sounds he heard. It was as if he had a psychic compass within him — feeling a magnetic pull towards the direction.

"We are close!" He announced and beckoned the twins to come closer...

Once they were standing by him, the first twin also went down on her knees and touched the sand with both hands. All the white of her eyes disappeared the second her hands touched the sand. Her eyes were now black, black as stormy darkness.

"I can see it." She said.

"Yes, we are almost there." The second twin added. She, a little bit afar from the group, had her head raised to the sky. Her eyes were closed and her arms were open wide like she was welcoming someone into her bosom but this time, it was the atmosphere she welcomed. Every single hair on her body could feel the wind and breeze of the river from where she stood.

"It is actually closer than we think," she added as she walked back to join the group.

"Follow me." The man instructed and everyone in the group did as told.

They continued trekking for some minutes before they got there.

"We found it!" one member from the group exclaimed.

In front of them, a clean blue river wound its way through the ground. Babbling and burbling, it sprung over the rocks in its way. Its mouth or tail wasn't seen. It was just vast and long. A distant thrumming sound emanated from it, like the steady rumble of a drum roll.

Birdsongs filled the sky as the sun graced the scenery with its magnificent rays.

The group jumped and squealed with joy. They were all in the river in seconds, bathing, drinking, jumping around, simply taking in the awe.

Nia Afriyie stood there and watched.

"You are in Ancient Egypt and the year is 6000 BC." Kukua began. "Those you see are the descendants of the Fallen LightBloods. They were found among the humans that had started living along the Nile's banks starting in about 6,000 B.C.E.

What you just watched was the day the Nile was discovered. For the earliest inhabitants of the Nile Valley, food was not easy to find as the place was just barren land and rugged cliffs, followed by arid desert.