Chapter 25 - We All Might Be Dead Tomorrow

The Present

The Present.

Dembe stopped in his tracks when he saw the empty table. It wasn't just Anaya who wasn't there but everything else too. It was as if someone was trying to tell him he had been hallucinating the entire night — the conversation, the food. Everything. He knew he wasn't.

"Ato, hey," he called out the waiter he saw walking to a table to take an order. Ato turned when he heard his name. His white uniform was neatly ironed and tucked in, with a black bow tie around his neck.

"Hey, Dembe. Off duty today?" he asked when he got closer to Dembe. Dembe stood taller than him. He had his head a little bit raised as Dembe talked to him.

"Yes. Took an off day. Hey, did you see where the lady who sat behind that table went?" He asked, pointing at the table they were having their dinner on.

"Nope, man." He pulled the list of booked tables from his top pocket and scanned through. "This is strange."

"Why? What is it?"

"Dembe, man, that table hasn't been booked the whole of tonight," Ato explained, his eyes still perusing the list.

"What? No...I was..." Dembe paused knowing there was no way Ato could be telling him lies. Besides, he seemed to have caught on to something. "You know what? It is alright, Man. Thank you for your help."

"Always." Ato smiled and left to the table he was walking to before Dembe called him.

They have been here again! He thought as he made his way to the table. He placed his palm on the centre of the table, closed his eyes. Everything was made clear to him. They were clear like the surface of still water. He saw what happened at the table — who was there, what was said and where they transported to after the woman cast the spell.

"These guardians!" He hissed. Anger burned deep into his system like hot lava. It stirred within, hungry for destruction. He didn't know whom but someone had to pay for what had happened. He was that close of taking care of the Second chosen, he only knew how and now all chances were thin. He pulled his phone from his pocket. With one hand clenched into a fist, the other hitting aggressively on the phone's keypads and eyes bloodshot, he made a call to Kande.

"Hey, Kande..." he placed the phone on his ear as he walked out of the restaurant.

"She got away again."

"..."

"I know. I know. Another guardian showed up. We really underestimated them this time."

"..."

"Yes, I saw where they went. I will find them. They better be ready for what is coming." He ended the call, the beep from the keypad echoing on the empty street in the silence of the night. He walked a few blocks away from the restaurant. The street-lamps were very dim at that part. There was not enough brightness to illuminate the entire street. No one could be seen around. He walked into the blackness. There was a blip, a streak of light, which disappeared the second it appeared, then he was gone.