Chapter Two

It had been three weeks since I moved into Sydney's room. And at first it felt perfect, but as the weeks passed, I started feeling different. I wondered what I was missing, I mean after all she was my first and best friend from UBC, and she was awesome, so what was it? Until I found out her big secret. Sydney was a lesbian. And to be honest, I was okay with that, before she started acting weird around me. I wasn't sure what she thought of me, but I somehow didn't want her to get the wrong idea about me, so I decided upon making a plan to make it clear to her, that I was straight, even though she probably already knew that. I told myself that all I had to do is get a date with a guy, that's all. But it was much harder than I thought. No matter how hard I tried, no one asked me out. Not even the ugliest guy on campus; no offense. By the end of the day I just had it, so instead I did something any desperate person would do. I went on a dating website and set up a date with a guy named Ryan Marshall, for the next night. I had done it. Now all I had to do, was talk to Sydney about it, and make myself seem really excited. So when she came back, that's the first thing I did.

"Hey, where have you been?" I asked

"Hiya, oh i was just at the store, had to buy me some of these" She picked out a packet of noodles and flashed it in front of my eyes. "Ooo and guess what i got ya?"

"What?" I said trembling just hoping it wasn't something good, because if she had something for me, then her heart was about to be broken. And whatever she got for me wouldn't have been worthed after all. She picked out a white tablet, turned it around only to read, "Lindt" written on it. It was chocolate. I sighed, relief consuming me.

"Your favorite chocolate!" She jumped.

"Oh my god! Thank you so much Sydney!" And it was time to tell her "Hey, guess what else happened tonight?"

"What?"

"So this guy from campus, Ryan Marshall asked me out and, we have a date tomorrow night." I faked a smile and jumped to show some excitement. But the room started radiating some negative vibes. Her face went red and she look at the floor.

"Oh, really? That's amazing Priya, I hope you have great fun. Well I'm really tired, I'm going to hit the bed. Night night." She smiled at me and went off to her bed.

Oh no, I did not just do that. No, she couldn't possibly have any feelings for me, I mean I'm her roommate, and her best friend. And best friends don't just have feelings for each other, I mean at least not in that way. I just screwed up everything we had, and I might even just regret this for the rest of my life. I couldn't lose Sydney, she had been the bestest friend anyone could possibly have in their life. What was I going to do now? But I had to go on that date. She had to understand me. So with all the courage left in me, I did.

Turns out, Ryan Marshall was still a high school student, and he was just sixteen. The date was a bumer. So even after my ridiculous date with Ryan I still decided to tell Sydney that it was perfect, and that I was going to continue seeing Ryan. I knew that it would hurt her, but it think it's better that she doesn't keep any false hope for us. That she understood that I was only into boys. That I was not a lesbian, and that I was never going to change how I feel about guys.

The few weeks after that. I couldn't face her. It would just make me feel more guilty about what I did, so I decided to hang out at the diner that she hates, next to campus, so she wouldn't find me. I decided to focus on my work to get my mind off things. It was then that it happened. The place where my love story changed. It was him, he entered through the door and started walking towards me. His name was Rahul Bhatia. He had changed so much, but I could never forget him, even if he would have changed his hair color and worn contact lenses. Rahul Bhatia, second child of the Bhatia family. Our families have known each other for a very long time, and so have we. Not only that, when i was younger, i had feelings for him. I mean how could I not. He was perfect inside out. He had black hair and dark brown eyes. His jaw line was to die for and he had was simply a Greek god. But I was happy to go to University knowing that he wouldn't be there because I just knew that I wouldn't have been able to control my feelings for him, that I could just get over him. You see, Rahul has always been my friend, and he is amazing, truly. However there is no way he would ever go out with me, so after I came to University, I cut all ties with him so my old feelings wouldn't trigger back for him. But here he was now, standing right in front of me. What the hell? I tried to hide under the screen of my computer, I really couldn't have him talk to me now. Not before I have a boyfriend oh no he won't. I cannot go back to being the girl with feelings for one of her oldest friends. I couldn't spoil our friendship. But it was too late.

"Priya?" He caught me. I emerged from my computer screen, shaking and trembling.

"Rahul? Hey, what are you doing here? It's been so long." He flashed his charming eyes at me and smiled. I wanted to faint right now and right there. I can't believe this is happening. It felt like destiny. Wait what did I just say?

"Hey, I'm studying at the City University. And yes, it has been very long. God you have changed so much. You look so.... pretty." Oh no he didn't. He didn't just call me pretty i thought. I am not pretty Mr.Bhatia. No.

"Thank you" I said shaking "So you study at City University, here, in Vancouver? Well what a strange coincidence"

"I know right, destiny." Come on, could he make the situation any worse than this. Why destiny, why the use of that word. And just as I decided to run away, he made the setting even more dreadful.

"Hey do you mind if I join you?"

"Me? Yeah sure, why not? No problem at all." He sat right in front of me. This was going to be a disaster.

"So how have you been? How is University?"

"Oh, it's all great" I said putting my laptop screen down "What about you, how come you are in Vancouver? I thought you were planning to go to the UK?" My back was sweating, but I was controlling it, waiting for this unexpected visit to be over.

"Well you know, minds change, just wanted to be somewhere else. Away. You get me right?"

"Oh yeah totally. I feel you" I couldn't take it anymore, this cannot be happening right now. I wanted to get out of there, but his cute his little eyes just wouldn't let me go. The moment was so confusing, what was I to do? Sit or leave. But I couldn't stay, I couldn't fall for him again. So I decided to leave. The moment was over.

"Hey listen, it was awesome meeting you here unfortunately I got to go, have an exam tomorrow, but I'll see you around."

"Oh sure. Just give me your number, I sure want to meet you again" Great. Why did he have to put me in such a horrible position. Why can't he just understand? But i couldn't back out now. So we exchanged numbers and I stormed off back to the dorm, to face my other problem. Sydney. I really needed to tell someone about what just happened, but I couldn't just tell her about this now. I think I hurt her enough. For now I would just have to keep it to myself and hope that I never see him again.

**EDITED**

Picture of Rahul to the side---->

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE

-Neha