Chapter Five

The party took place in Michaela's so called "house" which to me looked more like a gigantic mansion. The music was loud and there was tonnes of alcohol. People were falling into the pool and running around like hooligans. I didn't normally go to parties like this, but the very few I had been to, I only lasted for five minutes.  But I kept reminding myself that I was doing this for Rahul, to spend more time with him, to be nice to him. To impress him.

He guided me to the bar next to the pool and sat me down. His eyes immediately floated away looking for the big headed monster or as I liked to call her, Voldemort. He was sweating and trembling, it was clear that he was nervous. But what was even more obvious was that this was his first time. Rahul was never the kind of guy to ask girls out or to flirt with them, or to get this nervous to talk to one. Or so I thought. At that moment I sort of envied Micha- I mean Voldemort. She didn't just have the perfect life, but the perfect body, the perfect grades, and now, Rahul.  All of a sudden I saw her walk down the poolside, pulling some guys head out of the pool and taking him inside the house. I wanted to know what was going on. Was he her boyfriend? Did Rahul know?  However, the rule book said that if a party took place in a backyard of a person's house, it stayed in the backyard and no one was allowed to enter the house. There was something suspicious about her face though, as if she was busted or something, so just for the sake of saving Rahul, I decided to break the law and go and investigate.

    "Hey, I gotta hit the ladies room. Will you be fine here?" I asked Rahul.

    "Oh yeah sure, don't worry about me. I'll be right here" he said as I stood up and walked away. There was a load of traffic for me to get through, but when I finally made it to the door of the house, I silently opened it and snuck in. Immediately I started hearing voices in the room to my left. Luckily, a staircase covered me and still allowed me to hear the conversation.

    "I told you to get rid of it, didn't I?"  a female voice said, which I'm sure was Michaela's voice. 

    "That pack cost me thousands of bucks and you  told me get rid of it? Why did you buy it in the first place then if you weren't gonna use it? What, did daddy catch her little girl with heroin and banned her from using it?" a male voice said. The word heroin kept banging my ears. I knew that she was bad, but not as bad as to do drugs.

    "Listen you bag of crap. I have my own reasons, besides, I already payed for it, and I will continue to buy. But right now, I need to get rid of this pack do you understand me?" Wow, she will continue to buy it. She was a drug user. What the hell did Rahul even see in her? She was nothing but a big spoilt brat.

I silently opened the door again and escaped back outside to tell Rahul the big news. But as soon as I got to the bar, he wasn't there. My eyes looked frantically around for him, but there was no sign of him. So I pulled out my phone and called him. No one answered. Of corse, because that si what people do in parties such as these, answer their telephone. Good thinking Priya, very smart. For a few moments I stood there, alone and cold, as if in a depressed world when abruptly I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned around with a whip to see Rahul. I sighed with relief but before I could even start talking he said

    "You won't believe what just happened?" What could have happened? Did he also hear the conversation? It was making me nervous but I asked anyways.

    "What?"

    "Come with me" he grabbed my hand and pulled me with him. He took me to an isolated place a bit far from the backyard to a pile of stairs. We climbed up only to find myself at a rooftop with the most amazing view of Vancouver. 

    "I was looking for Michaela, but instead, I found this. I figured since this was a stupid idea in the first place, I might as well spend some time with you and make it up to you here." My heart skipped five beats. All my life I waited to hear him say, "I want to spend my whole life with you" to me, but obviously this was as closest I could get, and I was happy. It was a good start. We sat down on a pile of bricks, facing the breathtaking landscape talking and laughing, just like old times. 

    "Hey do you remember that time we used to go for picnics and I always used to throw you by the river?" he questioned, laughing.

    "How could I not? You were like the biggest bully I had!" I started "but... you also were the most amazing friend I had, my best friend." He smiled.

     "What happened to us Priya? We used to be so close but you stopped contacting me after you left, and I was all alone. Why didn't you call or write an e-mail?" He said looking at me with a naive expression. The answer to the that was very simple I was in love with you but it was something I couldn't tell him. I didn't know how to answer,  so instead I just shrugged and looked away. On spur of moment, I heard footsteps coming up the stairs, a voice crying. But before we could even move an inch a figure stood right ahead of us.

It was Voldemort, her mascara running down her face, her hair a mess, and her dress torn, as if someone tried to rape her. Somewhere deep down, I felt sorry for her. Not because of what happened to her, but because she had to live a life hiding behind her bitchy attitude and a caked face.  

    "Michaela?" Rahul noticed. "What happened to you? you look... awful." he said gently. 

    "Rahul!" she screamed as she ran towards him and hugged him. He was red and at that moment, I saw a huge grin on his face. He was clearly happy. And I definitely couldn't tell him that she was a drug user, it would break him. And I couldn't do that to him, I couldn't do that to myself...

    "Oh it's just horrible" Voldemort sobbed. She started talking about her break-up with her boyfriend, still tied to his chest. But I couldn't stand there anymore, I couldn't face them together so I texted Rahul a message saying "I'm off" which he read behind Michaela's back and nodded at me. I had  hoped he would have stopped me, but how could he. It was one of the greatest moments of his life being hugged by that drug using villain that he obviously didn't know about.

So I took off, called a cab, and headed back to my dorm, ready to cry and sleep for the rest of my life.

**EDITED**

VOTE

COMMENT

SHARE

-Neha