Chapter 1: The family banquet

Immediately I entered the banquet charity room, all eyes were diverted to my dress first, before me. I was putting on a black knee-length dress with my back exposing my bare skin to the waist.

I felt a little bit embarrassed as I walked down the stairs, and it was not going well with me at all. I was uncomfortable.

Everyone dressed in suits and gowns, but my appearance caught everyone's attention. Some people didn't hide their disgust others raised questioning eyebrows at me.

My eyes landed on Benita Balboa. The great grandmother of the house.

"Someone who came from an unsocial town, what more do you expect from her?" Avala giggles slightly.

"Of course, she can't play the part of a Balboa Clan," Graciela adds.

I groaned immediately. I walked closer to the Balboa. "You..." looking at Avala and her so-called daughter, I whisper.

The flame in great-grandma Benita's eyes was not appealing at all. "You're a disgrace to our family," she yells. "Get out," She didn't even let me take a step to the room.

"The Balboa family is getting from bad to worst, and I don't know where they picked this wild animal from," Grandma Benita murmurs in between her breath.

"Dressing like a prostitute, a cheap whore," Avala adds with a smile.

I became speechless and weak, I wanted to cry, but I willed myself not to. I won't give them the satisfaction of seeing they've won.

"You're the one that is telling me to get out now when today is over. You all better not beg me to come back here again. You guys will pay for this, and I swear" I turned to Avala and her daughter.

Avala and her daughter started laughing at me, but who cares. I groaned as I leaned back a bit to remove my heels, then I threw them on the floor. Immediately I got up, the breast part of my dress was ripped from the side because it was not my size.

I gasped. "Go, why ain't you leaving?" Avala asks. "You can't bear to apart from the wealth of this family?"

I was swelling with anger and hatred. "Avala Contenese!" I yelled in resentment.

Avala smirks, looking at the faces of the stunned people who have gathered around us. "According to the family rules, you have to call me Mamá obediently,"

I spit. This made her raise her hand to slap me, but I stopped her with my word. "According to the rules of a Deltan, you have to go to Nigeria and kneel in front of my mother's grave and present flowers and sweets to her,"

Everyone gasps. "Who is this girl."

"The Balboa family is old-fashioned. When the great grandmaster was alive, his son got married to a Nigerian woman who was the first wife. This dark-skinned girl is the official daughter to the current master, Giovanni De Pino Balboa,"

"That means, according to the rules, since she was buried in Africa, she needs to present flowers and sweets, but who will dare to tell Mia Signora to her face," someone whispered out loud for everyone to hear.

Avala felt her pulse rise from hearing the little gossips from the guests.

She then fakes a smile. "Caitriona, you're still young, and I will not hold it against you,"

"Then what will you do? Do it as revenge?" I look resented at her.

Avala smirks, twirling her hair. "You should go back; first. Today's event is a massive one, and we cannot let your immaturity act ruin it because it's part of your father's company program."