Chapter 1 - Prolouge

Maya's POV
(4 Years ago, 4th grade)

"Alright class, settle down," the teacher barked as I walked into the room. "Hart, you're late. Again." I rolled my eyes, then plopped into my chair. "Care to explain?" Mr. Ford said. "No, I'm good." The teacher scoffed, then turned to the board. As the teacher droned on through the lesson, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I looked around before seeing a tall brunette sitting to my left. She was wearing a rainbow shirt and denim shorts, and a big bow was clipped to her braid. "I'm Riley. Wanna be friends?" she asked. She looks like a puppy... how? I pretended to think, then responded with "I'm more of a lone wolf, but I'll make an exception. I'm Maya." "Well it's lovely to meet you Maya," Riley beamed. "Girls! If you're gonna talk during my class, you can leave," Mr. Ford spat. "Gladly, " I said, standing from my chair and crossing my arms. "Maya, don't." Riley whispered, grabbing my wrist. "Fine." I sat back down, and dosed off until the bell rang.

As I walked out the door, a familiar face was waiting for me. "That was really stupid," Riley said with her arms crossed. "Sorry, Mr. Ford is so boring," I said, drawing out the "o". "Yeah he is, not gonna lie." We stood in silence before Riley perked up. "Wanna come to my house and play after school? My daddy is a teacher, so he can take us home!" I don't know, should I trust this new girl? I hesitated for another second, then nodded slowly. "Yay!" she exclaimed, grabbing my hands and jumping up and down. RING! "Uh oh, I gotta go! Bye new best friend!" Riley dropped my hands, then disappeared as quickly as she showed.

I didn't know it at the time, but showing up to class that day was the best decision I ever made.

(First Draft 3/21/20)
(Edited 6/5/22)
————————————————-
If you're reading this, thanks so much! I've been reading SOOO much Rilaya stuff lately, so I thought I should write one! There DEFINITELY won't be an upload schedule, but I'll for sure upload AT LEAST once a week. Comment with suggestions!