Chapter 2 - Heads Up!

TW: ⚠️SLURS⚠️

Maya's POV
June 31

I've been friends with Riley Matthews since elementary school. We go everywhere together, we do everything together. She's my best friend; one of my first, as a matter of fact. We tell each other everything... well, mostly. I still haven't told her about my depression, or my feelings for her, or my dad... it's fine. I'm fine, everything's fine.

As I walked down the sidewalk towards the Matthews' apartment, I scrolled mindlessly through my social media messages. I had been avoiding my DMs for a while. Partially because I'm an anti-social caterpillar, but mostly because of the bullying. When people at school found out I was queer, it didn't go over great. The names they called me were burned into my skull. Fag. Ugly hoe. Attention seeker. I rolled my eyes, then closed Instagram. I shoved my phone into my jacket pocket, then continued the trek up the hill towards Riley's house.

When I reached the bottom floor lobby, I pressed the button for apartment 1271. "It's Maya, let me in," I whined into the microphone. I heard a chuckle from the other end before the door buzzed and opened. I drug myself up the stairs to the Matthews', then entered without knocking (It's okay, I do it all the time). "What up, losers?" I called as I entered, closing the door behind me. "Maya!" I turn around and Auggie, Riley's little brother, comes running at me. He runs into my legs, wrapping himself around me. "Hey Aug!" I laughed, picking him up. "Morning Maya," Topenga called from the kitchen. I slung Auggie over my shoulder then began stomping towards the couch. "Rawr! I've caught me a snack! I'm gonna eat you!" I threw him onto the couch, then leaned over him, playfully snarling. "What a tasty child..."

"PEACHES!" I shoot up to find Riley sprinting across the room, arms outstretched. My eyes go wide before I back away, pretending to run. Riley screeches before tackling me to the floor. "Ow," I groaned as she pulled herself from the ground, offering me her hand. I took it, dragging myself off the floor. "Hi Maya," Riley smiled. I laughed, then pulled her into a hug. Dork.

"Time for breakfast!" Topenga chirped from the kitchen. Together, we race to the kitchen ducking and dodging flying body parts. We crashed into the table, which earned us a "stern talking to" from Topenga. We sat down to a feast of eggs, bacon, pancakes, and toast, along with glasses of orange juice and coffee, respectively. While we eat, my head began to throb. Ugh, stupid migraine. I winced, and Riley very clearly noticed. She gently bumped me with her shoulder before making THAT face. "You okay, Peaches?" she asked. "Yeah, just have a headache," I responded, rubbing my forehead. "Fear not, Corey to the rescue! Heads up!" Riley's dad yells, chucking a pill bottle across the room. I jump from the table, narrowly catching them. "Thanks Matthews!" I called, popping the pain reliever into my mouth. I need to see a doctor about this... no. Mom's already working double shifts, it's too expensive. I looked down at my watch, the funny frog one that Riley gave me the day we met. It read 7:00. "Crap. Riley," I said, turning to her, "it's seven. We gotta go!" Riley yelped before shoving another piece of bacon in her mouth before jumping from the table to get her stuff. I chuckle, scooping my backpack from the floor before meeting her out the door. She runs to me, panting, then waves bye to her parents before pushing me out the door.

(First Draft 3/21/20)
(Edited 6/5/22)
———————————————————————
Two uploads in one day?! Wow!
Lol but seriously, the upload schedule for this will probably be nonexistent
If you're reading this, thanks so much! The chapters will get more interesting, I swear