Chapter 22 - Are You Serious?

IM SO SORRY IVE HAD A MAJOR WRITERS BLOCK
Anyway, here's this, the next chapter will be uploaded next week :)
kbyeenjoylmao
—————————————————————————
Maya's POV
November 24

I don't know if I can do this. I don't want to have a public freak out and cry in front of Auggie. Or anyone, as a matter of fact. I sighed, then glanced back at my desk. A small picture frame with a photo of me and Riley from 5th grade at the fair. She had a huge smile plastered across her face, a big stick of cotton candy in her hand. I stood, the walked over and picked it up. That was one of the most fun things I've ever done. I placed the photo down gently and walked into the living room.

"Hey, do you have any photos of me and Riley?" I asked my mom, plopping down next to her.
"Yeah, lots." she responded softly. "Can you send them to me? I'm gonna print them out." "Okay," she smiled, pulling out her phone. "Hey, we need to leave at 2:30 so we can help set up," she said while scrolling through her photos. "Got it," I sighed. You can do it Peaches. I'm always with you, even now. I just miss you so much, and I don't wanna cry in front of all of those people. It's okay to be vulnerable, Maya. They can see you cry; you'll live. I know. I just don't want to cry in front of Auggie, mostly.

"You Alright?" My mother asked. "Yep." "And," she said, pressing send, "done." "Thanks," I said, pulling on my shoes. "Oh, you're going right now?" she asked. I nodded, then put my phone into my pocket. "Be back at noon, okay hun?" she said behind me. "Got it. Bye mom!" I closed the door, but a nagging feeling told me to stop. Maybe I should go visit them. I sighed, then opened the door and stuck my head through. "Is it cool if I go visit the Matthews'?" I asked. She smiles, then nods. I close the door once again then take off down the street towards the Matthews' house.

"Maya." I said into the microphone. The door buzzed and I pulled it open. I really hope I don't cry in front of Auggie. Dude, it's fine to cry in front of Auggie. I know, I just don't like crying. Neither do I, and I'm dead. Oh god, please don't remind me. I made my way down the hallway to apartment 743 and knocked on the door. A moment later, a droopy-eyed Topenga slowly opens the door. She squints at me, then wipes her eyes. "Hi Maya," she sighs, moving so I could get in. "Hi, Mrs. Matthews." I stepped into the apartment. What the hell happened? There was trash scattered across the living room, and rotten foods covered the counters. The couch pillows were scattered and blankets were thrown about. Jesus. I turned around at looked at Topenga. "How ya doin?" I asked softly. She sighed, then looked down at her feet. "I'm a mess, Maya." she sniffed. "It's okay Mrs. Matthews, I am too." "I just," she started, "I can't live without her, Maya." I sighed and let a tear fall down my cheek. I sniffled, then wrapped Topenga into a hug. "Me too, Mrs. Matthews."

"Hey hun, it's almost time to-" Cory looked to Topenga then me, then back to Topenga. He swallowed, then looked down to his feet and rocked back and forth. I sighed, then stood and walked over to him. "I know Mr Matthews." "I miss her, Hart." "I know," I sighed. I saw a tear fall down his cheek, but he quickly wiped it away and straightened his back. "Are you gonna help set up?" "Yeah, Lucas and Farkle are too." I responded. He inhaled then turned on his heels toward the kitchen. "Are you hungry?" "No," I said. He's so... small. Broken. Vulnerable. "Maya?" Auggie asked feebly from around the corner. "Hey bud," I smiled. He looked at me with sadness and walked over to me. "I miss Riley." Nooooo. Aw. I hoisted him off the floor and held him in my arms. "I know bud." He sniffled, then nestled his head into my shoulder. He's so cute. I know. I hate seeing him cry though. "Hey Augs," I asked. He looked up at me with squinted eyes. "Wanna go say hi to Lucas and Farkle?" He shrugged, then wiggles out of my shoulders. He sighed deeply before turning around and lumbering down the hallway.