NINE

Hanako-Kun said; "You can even make friends with murderers, Yua."

His words continued to repeat through your head. Completely taking over any other thoughts and rendering them useless. The fight resolved peacefully. Kou fainted but wasn't majorly hurt and Hanako-Kun didn't seem bothered after. Until you asked to help, he seemed to realize your persistence to stick by.

Finding out he murdered someone when he was alive was already hard enough for you to understand. But, the past is the past.

You sat under the window sill in the girl's bathroom with Hanako-Kun above you, playing some card game with the Mokkes.

It was completely silent besides the Mokkes quiet chattering and with that peace, you had your eyes glued to your phone, fingers repeatedly tapped against the screen. Letters formed into words and sentences were created before behind sent in less than a second.

It's been like this for a while, hanging with Hanako and having no interaction whatsoever.

The person you were messaging were anonymous. They were a guy that went by the user "HotChocolate3678".

Never meeting, you made a good relationship out of your interactions with him.

He was really nice, nothing special but he did listen, he became a type of crutch, even if you didn't know him. It was just nice to vent to someone who didn't know you. It's been a while since you had last texted him but now you had nothing else to do.

"Who are you texting?" Hanako-Kun broke the silence, never seeing you text someone with such concentration.

You up and notice he wasn't looking at you, his eyes locked strictly on his game. You scoff and turn back to your phone.

"A friend."

Hanako moved on from the fight as if nothing had happened and being understanding, you didn't ask any questions, mostly knowing he wasn't going to answer.

Your deal really didn't go through. What questions have he ever answered?

"That's pretty vague." He remarked. By his comment, you roll your eyes. Hanako was the definition of vague.

His lack of eye contact frustrated you and his insufficient speech only boiled your blood more.

"HANAKO!!!"

You flinch at the booming voice and drop your phone onto your lap, looking look, you almost snort seeing Kou skid past the bathroom door before coming back and rushing inside.

"This is the girl's bathroom, Kou." You raise a brow, amused by the younger boy.

He runs towards you and grabs Hanako- by collar, pulling him down and shaking him back and forth very aggressively.

You look at the duo in confusion, not understanding what could have possibly happened for things to end up like this.

"Damn you! What did you do with Yokoo and Satou from my class?!" He yelled. Blinking twice by the bold accusation, you get up.

"Kou, You're gonna hurt yourself." You wince as your phone drops to the ground with a thud.

"I know you did it! You spread a bunch of weird rumors! Why doesn't anyone remember them?!"

Hanako-Kun escaped his grasp and quickly fixed his fixed his collar. "Missing students and rumors about the stairs?...In that case, I do have an idea." His lips formed a small smile.

"I knew it! You no good-"

"There are seven places in this school that connect to the spirit world. Those stairs are one of them. The missing students must have been taken to the spirit world." Hanako explained.

Daisuke always mentioned how he went to some spirit world but you always assumed he was crazy.

"They're called boundaries."

The seas between the shores of this life and the next, you can hear your dad's voice repeating those lines over and over again.

You tug on Hanako's sleeve, catching his attention.

"There are missing students?"

You didn't expect school to be this dangerous. The most dangerous thing you've ever encountered before all this spiritual stuff was a student pricking their finger with a pencil.

Noticing the faint color on your face and the distant look in your eyes, he grabs your cheeks, cubbing then in his hands.

You grunt at the cold sensation, face tingling as he rubs his thumbs over your skin.

"Aw. Don't look so scared. You'll be fine." He pressed your cheeks closer. "And those students," He plastered a grin
on his face. "I'll save them." He giggled.

Smiling at the fact that he was back to normal, you nod and instantly attach yourself onto him, wrapping your arms around his waist.

"Uh...Y-Yua?" Hanako-Kun chuckled nervously, awkwardly patting your head, eyes darting between you and Kou.

"Hey! Don't blush! She's just being nice!" Kou assumed angrily.

"I-I'm not blushing, Boy!!"

"I'm sorry." You say, your voice coming out muffled. Hanako froze at your almost inaudible apology.

"For what?" He pushed you back gently, hands planted on your shoulders. He was smiling but his eyes shimmered with confusion.

You shake your head head, not wanting to answer since you didn't really know yourself. He hums, fine with your response and proceeds in grabbing your hands before placing then back around his waist, this time, he was the one pulling you into the hug.

"You don't need to apologize for anything."

"Hanako-Kun." You chuckle, digging your face into his chest as he floated a little bit above the ground.

"There, there."

You quietly laugh. Embarrassing is what this situation is.

"HEY!!" Kou tore you both apart. You gasp and stumble back, baffled. Kou's face was bright red. He was fuming.

Hanako-Kun wiggled his fingers with a pout. "What is it? I was just getting to the good part."

Kou shielded you away from Hanako with his hands gripping onto your shoulders.

"Keep your sleazy hands away from her!"

I'd rather have this sleazy hands on me.

Your eyes widened at the appalling thought. Face turning red, you pull away and turn around in embarrassment with hand clamped over your face.

"You're taking senpai into the boundary, right?"

Wait, what?

Ignoring my flaming face. You look back in utter discomfort.

"Well, yeah." Hanako-Kun replied casually.

When did I give my consent?

"I'm coming too!" Kou said. He was determined for what? You deadpan at the challenging boy.

"I'll protect her."

I-

Hanako-Kun smirks. "I don't mind." He interlocked his hands behind his back and leaned close to Kou. You stood in your spot feeling awkward at them just agreeing to bring you along without your permission.

"But you're not my assistant, so I won't protect you."

You chuckle at his blunt words.

"Like I'd want your help."

"Don't cry to me when you get shredded."

"S-Shredded?!"