10. A Shattered Kiss

Morning had arrived.

"Anita...Wendy..get up.." Michael said tiredly.

Anita raised her head slowly from Michael's lap. She rubbed her head vigorously. She realised that she was still in the same place as she was last night with Michael. Michael...

"What? Oh no! Your family is going to go ballistic!" Anita said, her eyes adjusting to the light.

"Go home, I'll explain. It's fine. Just go home, Anita," Michael got up.

"Look, I'll explain that we were talking for quite a while, then we accidentally fell asleep ok?" Anita rushed her words, getting up and brushing her hair and smoothing her denim dress.

She started to walk quickly away from Michael, in the direction of the Jacksons house, making her way through the fully grown leaves.

Michael caught her up and gave her a panicked look.

They were already at the Jacksons house.

Anita's heart started thumping.

Calm down Anita...just calm down...she thought her insides turning.

Anita and Michael walked to the front door. It was already open-strange.

Walking inside, they saw that Joseph was standing with his arms crossed, glaring at them.

"Where have you been?" Joseph quietly asked, anger ready to explode out of him.

Michael just stood there, fumbling with his hands and his mouth shut.

"I SAID WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN BOY?! YOU ARE SO LUCKY THE OTHERS WEREN'T HERE TO WITNESS YOUR DISAPPEARANCE SO TELL ME, WHERE WERE YOU LAST NIGHT?" Joseph roared.

Michael swallowed-hard.

"He was with me. We were just talking in the park nearby, and then we accidentally slept. That's all,"Anita's soft voice calmed the room. Joseph's eyes were on Anita, then Michael's.

Anita felt sweat running down her back.

"So you've brought your girlfriend have you? Brought her to back you up?" Joseph sneered.

"She's not my girlfriend," Michael quietly said.

"Liar! Don't you dare lie to me!!" Joseph spat.

How dare you call Michael a liar...Anita angrily thought.

"So tell me, what were you doing with her last night?!" Joseph's voice was still loud. He went over to the front door and closed it.

"I didn't do anything with her! I swear I never! We were talking in the park, and we just happened to fall asleep!" Michael told him.

"And he lies again! I know you were doing something with her! Whether it was a date or a meet up!! Do you know what you have done? You have made me so embarrassed going off with scum like that. You're no son of mine!" Joseph's voice grew louder.

"Anita is not scum!" Michael's voice was beginning to increase.

I am not scum...Anita's voice grew loud in her head.

"You dare...talk back to me? Me?" Joseph questioned.

"We are telling the truth! I didn't do anything with Michael! I didn't! We are just friends! That's all!" Anita shouted a little.

"Someone needs to stand up to you in this house for once," Michael's voice sounded furious-but he wasn't shouting. "You're nothing, nothing to anybody or anything. And you never will be," Michael slowly clenched his fists.