20. Worthless

"I must say James, your daughter has grown up to be a fine woman," Katherine said, smiling.

"Thank you Katherine. I really am proud of her, I really am," James replied.

Katherine and James were walking to James' house. He invited her over for a chat and to see more of Anita.

Katherine's black heels clicked in rhythm against the solid pavement.

"How are the girls?" James asked.

"Good," Katherine slightly smiled.

"And the boys?" James slightly raised his eyebrows.

"Hm...a bit better. I think they're getting used to the fact that Jermaine won't be coming back to their group. Especially Michael," Katherine frowned.

James put a hand on her shoulder. "They've done well for themselves. They coped well and strived to the very top despite Jermaine's exit."

Katherine smiled.

James dropped his hand from her shoulder. "I remember that Anita used to love doing ballet when she was little. She'd sing a bit as well. Just for me. But now, I don't know what the future holds for her. She's doing her best-she is, but I don't want her fame to grow even more. It's just so hard," James sighed.

Katherine stopped in her tracks and so did James. Katherine went closer to James and gave him a quick peck on the cheek, her red lipstick smearing his cheek.

When she moved away, she softly said, "Anita will know what's right for her. She will. And may it bring the best in her."

They both started walking again.

James ran his fingers through his hair.

"Don't worry James. If you feel sad just summon your Night Train!" Katherine joked.

James chuckled.

Katherine went in front of James since he had handed her the keys for his house. Her heels clicked even more as she was walking quickly.

She turned the key and opened the door. Once James was in, she shut the door.

James went over to her and gently took of her coat.

"Thank you, are you always this kind?" Katherine smiled.

"Always madam! Always!" James chuckled, putting her coat on a peg.

When he was done, they both sat themselves on the sofa.

James clasped his hands together and gave Katherine an intense stare.

Katherine gazed at him too, her eyes sparkling and her lips trembling.

Instantly, James pulled her into to a hug. Katherine cried slightly.Her happiness was all an act. A convincing act...

When James pulled her away, he held her hands.

"Don't worry, don't. Michael will be alright. He will be," James said softly.

"No he won't! His drink was spiked!" Katherine said.

"Could you please tell me what drink he was spiked with?"

"I don't know! Some type of alcohol or maybe even drugs!"

He wiped Katherine's flood of tears.

"Look, you should go and check on Anita. Just see if she's ok," Katherine sniffed.

James nodded.

He got up and slowly made his way up the stairs. The floorboards creaked.

He made his way over to Anita's room and knocked on the door.

"Anita..." James whispered and knocked her door again.

He opened it ajar.

"Anita?" James was bemused.

Then he glanced down at the floor. He wasn't bemused anymore.

James' eyes widened and his breathing quickened.

Anita was on the floor unconscious. Blood trickled from her nose, lips and shoulders. A purple bruise was forming on the side of her forehead. Her two arms spread on the floor. Her hair messy and tangled. Red bruise formed on her left knee. A red mark on her cheek. Her neck assorted with small bruises. Anita's breathing was slowing, and James knew it.

"Anita! Baby...baby," James cried. He picked her head up, it lolled to the side. Her arms flopped around her.

"Anita! Anita!" James yelled, slightly shaking her. Tears ran down his face.

"Katherine! Katherine!" James sobbed.

He heard clicking noises heading to the room. Katherine opened the door to find a severely injured Anita in James' arms.

"Oh lord!" Katherine breathed.

"Call an ambulance! Now!!!!"

Anita had stopped breathing.

She had stopped breathing.