17. Hold On

Your soft kisses set me on fire. When you comforted me with your kisses, you made me feel needed. It wasn't nice when you were extremely sad. I was sad too.You made my pain ease away and my troubles. But only for that night.

A few days later, Anita's thoughts were filled with Michael.

Just Michael.

It was 1976 already, and Anita was living as a sixteen year old. She had matured, but became more lonely. James was still away, she hadn't seen Michael at all. Or Marlon. Yesterday, Marlon saw her and told her he was going to London for a while. Just to work on music and singing. He hugged her and kissed her cheek lightly and softly. That was all.

It was midnight and Anita could not sleep. She was stressed, tired and sad. She needed Michael to comfort her.

A tap at the door. Anita reacted quite slowly. She carefully made her way down the stairs and looked through the window.

She almost passed out. Michael. He still had his large afro. Grown a little, physically.

She opened the door and looked down. There was Michael in a black top and straight black trousers.

Anita's heart thumped and thumped. She could feel his steady breathing and his aura.

She focused on his shiny shoes. Shiny...just focus.

She felt Michael's shoulder brush past her as she realised he was coming in. Anita shut the door.

The house was tidy, clean and immaculate. She wanted James to be happy. But he wasn't here.

He sat on a table with four chairs and heavily lay his feet on the chair.

Michael stared at her with an intense look.

"How are you? I heard last year, not too long ago, that you and your brothers went to Jamaica. Met Bob Marley and the Wailers. How was that?" Anita said quietly and nervously, rubbing her chest.

Michael nodded.

Anita wanted to cry.

All I want, is to hear your voice...

She did though. She brushed a few strands of her hair behind her ears.

"How are you and Marlon?" Michael said.

Anita's heart stopped.

"What do you mean?" Anita asked, a tad bit confused.

"It seemed like you and him were enjoying the contact of yours and his lips. In the park and near your home..." Michael trailed off.

"I don't know..." Anita said quietly. "It just happened."

"Marlon's trouble," Michael warned.

"What?" Anita furrowed her eyebrows.

"Look, Marlon is the type of person that will lure you in and just leave you. Heartbroken. I've seen it all," Michael softly said.

"Wait. I'm going to get hurt? I'm not a kid you know.And why do you care at all?" Anita's voice began to rise.

Michael sighed. "I don't want to see you getting hurt. You're vulnerable. You are vulnerable."

Anita's eyes widened.

Michael..what? When did Michael...what?

"I know what's right for myself. No-one is there for me. You aren't, James isn't! No-one is! He's been gone for weeks! I don't see him! You never told me you were leaving Motown! You never came and told me you were back! If I'm vulnerable in every way, I shouldn't be here! I hate you! I hate James! I hate everybody! I wish I wasn't James' daughter! I wish I never met you! I wish I was dead!" Anita sobbed and sobbed. She bent over hand on her chest, her breathing slowing.