11. A Split World

I was so guilty then. I never meant to keep out of touch for that long. There was something about you at that time...you changed...and I didn't like it...

~Late 1974~

"Anita, come on! The Tonight Show won't wait that long for us! You have five minutes!" James yelled from downstairs.

Anita adjusted the straps on her black floaty mini dress. It was mini-and she knew it. It came all the just a bit up from her mid-thighs. Her height did not help the length of the dress. It had a few waves at top, and diamonds on the curved part at the chest. She put on a black floral lace 3/4 cardigan. It felt warm.

Antia combed her fluffy afro hair and left it laying around her shoulders. She smothered lip balm onto her plump lips.

She fingered her rhinestone bracelet. Then sighed.

She placed ankle boots with thick but flat heels onto her slim and long feet.

She turned off the lights in her bedroom and made her way downstairs.

"Are you alright Anita?" asked James, pecking her quickly on the cheek. "Don't worry, today is your day. I can't believe my girl is already growing up!"

Anita smiled and chuckled.

"Come on girl, let's go," James smiled, taking her hand.

James locked the door and led her to his luxury car.

Anita could not lie, James was looking very handsome. His hair was in his usual 'press and curl'. He wore a clean and crisp long sleeved shirt and a black waistcoat. Along with shiny brogues. Lovely.

James sat at the front, and Anita sat at the back.

"Oh...Anita...thinking you're a queen now? Got all your space at the back now? Nah girl, you're my queen-get to the front," James laughed.

Anita got out of the car and shut the back door. She then opened the front door at entered. And closed it.

"Off we go!" James started to drive.

Absent mindedly, she fingered the diamond necklace around her neck.

Michael...

That violent day...that violent day, that's the last day Anita saw Michael.

Michael hadn't even given her a any notice that he was leaving. Anita didn't even know he was leaving at all! And she felt so angry...

Not anything...he could've told me! He could've not even check if I was healing, physically and emotionally. Well tonight, I'm going to tell him how I feel, Anita thought.

How could he do this? It's been over 4 months!

The car had stopped. They were at THE TONIGHT SHOW.

The words sparkled in the light.

James got out of the car and held his hand out, helping Anita out of the car.

As they walked, Anita shook her hips like a model as she strutted across the pavement. Her heels clicked with a professional sound as she did this.

There was something different about Anita...

James and Anita were already inside. An audience, a quite large audience.

Clapping, the audience were clapping. For James and Anita. Too much...

Lights, glitter, sounds..

James made his way to a seat at the front. The actual front. He looked over at Anita ,who was a bit far away, and patted the seat next to him.

She swayed her hips, legs in front of the other. People in the audience cheered as she walked by. She wore a slight smile on her face.

Sitting next to James, James asked "Are you alright Anita? You seem a bit quiet today..."

"Just taking in the fact I'm fifteen," Anita forced a smile.

James just smiled.

A man on stage started speaking. Anita did not pay attention.

.... "The Jackson 5!"

What? The Jackson 5? As in Jackson 5? God....

The stage revealed the boys in different coloured suits with white design and embellishments.

But Anita focused on Michael...Just Michael...

They were singing, 'It's Too Late To Change The Time', a song Anita enjoyed.

Michael looked different. His afro was even larger than before, and looked more mature. He had a pink outfit on.

Congas and drums filled the room. Then the brothers started to fill the room with light vocals.

And then Michael started to sing...

He danced across the stage as if it was air.

Anita rolled her eyes and crossed her legs.

She waited for the song to finish. And in a while, it was finished.

The Jacksons bowed while the audience clapped.

Anita did nothing. Nothing at all. She wore an unreadable expression on her face.

James and Anita went backstage.

"Michael you were great! And so were your brothers! Well done!" James patted his back.

"Thank you Mister Brown," Michael smiled, hands behind his back.

"Please call me James-I feel old!" James laughed, and so did Michael.

Anita crossed her arms impatiently.

"Anita and I haven't seen you in ages-have we Anita?" James questioned.

"No we haven't James....no we haven't..." Anita said, one hand on her hip, raising her eyebrows at Michael.

"Yeah.." Michael trailed off.

"Well, we'll see you later-bye man, and great job!" James smiled.

They started to head out of backstage.

Once James was out of backstage, Anita turned her body.

She looked at Michael-whose eyes were already on her.

Michael pleaded with his eyes and tightly clasped his hands.

She gave him a look of sadness and anger, then turned away.

Things have changed...