Chapter 9

Later that week, after track practice, I was sweating like crazy. I took a swig of water and sat on the grass, gasping for air. Today's practice was brutal.

Marisol sat back next to me. "Tough day, huh?"

I smiled. "You could say that."

After a couple minutes of resting, we got up and started our usual chatter on the way home.

"Oh!" Marisol said, holding her arm out to stop me. We were in the middle of the sidewalk.

"Yeah?"

"I just remembered. I was talking to my aunt and uncle about you--"

I smiled. She was talking to her family about me.

"--and they said I should invite you over for dinner. So here you are: invited."

"Aw! Thank you, I'd love to come. Should we go straight there?"

"Yeah," Marisol said. "The sun's setting right now, anyway."

We both looked up at the horizon. There the sky was lit on fire, a bright orange that made the clouds shine.

"Wow," I breathed.

"It's gorgeous," Marisol said.

I nodded. "You know, my favorite color's orange."

Marisol smiled. "Because of the sunset?" She asked, looking towards me.

I nodded again, still staring.

"Mine's purple."

I looked at her, thinking. "Yeah, that makes sense."

She nudged my arm. "What's that supposed to mean?"

I grinned. "You look good in purple."

She blushed. "Thanks."

We continued walking along, finally making it to the dark green house.

Marisol climbed the steps, getting her keys out. I walked anxiously behind her, nervous meeting her family for the first time.

She opened the door. Inside it was nice and warm. The door opened up to a living room with a tan couch, a coffee table, and a blanket thrown over the floor.

"Oh, by the way, I have two cousins," she mentioned, just as a little boy ran into the room, crashing into Marisol's arms.

"Marisol! Marisol!" The boy cried.

"Aw, hey Diego!" Marisol said, hugging him. "How was school today?"

"Awesome!" His face lit up. "Today we learned about weather. Did you know that clouds are actually made of water?"

"What?" Marisol said, shocked. "No way!"

"I couldn't believe it either! And guess what? When two clouds rub together, it makes lightning!"

"Woah! That is so cool! You're getting so smart, Diego," Marisol said, ruffling his hair.

Diego turned to me. "Who's that?"

I smiled at him. "I'm Penelope."

"That's my friend," Marisol said. She threw an arm around my shoulder. "She's the one I told you about?"

My face went beet red. Her whole family knew about me?

"Ohh! ¿La chica linda pero antipática?" Diego asked.

"Diego!" Marisol hissed. Now her face was red.

"What? What did he say?" I asked.

"Nothing!" She said.