Chapter 13

I was balancing a soda bottle, a sandwich, and some chips as I walked through the cafeteria. I made it to the lunch table to see all my friends crowding around Marisol.

"How did it go?"

"What happened?"

"Did he kiss you?"

Marisol was blushing furiously in her seat. "It's not a big deal!"

I set my lunch down on the table and sat down. Marisol didn't text me last night. She still hadn't returned my dress, either. It was fine though. I didn't care about that. I gazed over at her.

"I think it's a pretty big deal," I said.

Marisol looked over at me. "I mean..."

I rested my face on my hand. I tried to push down the resentment growing within me. "So tell us what happened."

She giggled. "If you really want to know..."

Marisol told us how he picked her up and called her beautiful. They went to the movies and saw some comedy. She said that he put his arm around her shoulder and pulled her close, and they stayed like that for the rest of the movie. Then they went to a diner to have dinner and they shared a milkshake. Afterwards, on the way out, he kissed her.

I was impressed with myself for keeping a straight face the entire time. Internally I was screaming. My heart ached for the girl sitting in front of me. It didn't matter that I could reach out my arm and touch her--she felt lightyears away.

"So are you going on another date with him?" Squealed Kate.

Marisol looked down, a small smile playing on her lips.

"That means yes!" Sarah cheered.

The girls all laughed and high-fived as they sat down. I met Marisol's eye, and she looked away.

* * *

We sat on Marisol's floor, going over equations for the upcoming math test. I looked down at the page, trying to concentrate. The numbers swam before my eyes, but I tried harder.

I took out my calculator, answering question after question. I filled out tables and drew graphs, plotting the equations. I solved and factored and simplified. I was on a roll.

Until I reached number fourteen. It was a word problem. Something about compound interest? I wasn't sure.

"Hey, Marisol--" I looked up. Marisol was lying on her bed, giggling at her phone. "Marisol?"

She looked over at me. "One second--" She kept typing.

I sat there. A minute went by, then another. I was miffed. She was supposed to be helping me but she was too busy texting Jake. It was like she didn't care about me anymore.

"Okay, I'm done. What's up?"

I sighed. "This problem is tough. I don't really understand it."

She leaned over my shoulder, looking at the problem. "Oh, we did one like that yesterday. It should be in your notes," she said.

Her phone dinged and Marisol smiled. She pulled out her phone and got back to texting.

Really? She couldn't be bothered to help me? I sighed, knowing I couldn't say anything. I didn't want her to think I was hitting on her or anything. I'd never want to make her uncomfortable.

I wanted to be happy for her, I really did.

It just felt like I was losing my friend, too.

I looked back at the problem, ignoring my own issues for the moment and getting lost in the math. I pulled open my binder and flipped through it. There it was--the exact same wording, but with different numbers. I looked through the work and realized how to set up the equation. From there, it was easy.

See, I didn't even need Marisol.

I looked up at her.

And she didn't need me.

A wave of sadness rose in my gut, strong enough to make me tear up.

"I... I gotta go," I said, shoving my papers into my backpack and running out the door.

"Where are you going?" Marisol called, looking up from her phone.

It was too late, I was already out the house and on the move.

I didn't know where I was going to go. I didn't want to go home. I didn't want to be cooped up, alone with my thoughts. Or alone with my brother. That would be awkward. Or alone with my parents. That would be even more awkward.

It probably should be concerning that I didn't want to be around my family, but I didn't care. I was too busy thinking about Marisol.

I didn't think about where my legs were taking me until I stopped. There I was, at the track. I remembered what Marisol had said a while back.

I run to clear my head.

Maybe this would work. I put my bag down and toed the line. Then I ran, not stopping for anything. I didn't think, all I could feel was the burning in my thighs and the pounding of my feet on the track.

The wind whipped my hair back and I was free.

I didn't know how long I ran for--I only stopped once I realized how dark it was. The sun had to set and the street lamps were on.

We didn't exactly live in a dangerous area, but I didn't want to risk walking home in the dark. I didn't have any other way to go.

I picked up my bag and pulled out my phone. There were a couple of texts from Marisol, but I decided to ignore them.

The problem with being a loner for two years was that you didn't know anyone well enough to call them down in the middle of the night to pick you up.

I sighed, sitting down. Who could I call? Who was someone that didn't want to ask questions that could also drive?

Oh.

Andrew.

I sighed. I didn't want to call him, but I had no choice. I dialed his number.

"Hello?"

"Hey, it's Penelope."

"Penelope? Why are you calling me?"

"Can you come pick me up?" I asked, cringing at how weak I sounded.

He sighed. "Where are you?" He asked, resigned to driving.

* * *

The car ride was awkward. He didn't ask me what I was doing at the school at 8 o'clock at night. Suited me just fine.

I was close with Andrew when we were kids. We would play in the backyard and go on adventures together. I remembered how we would run around in the sprinklers in the summer, how he would help me learn to read. Then we got older and grew apart. He became closer with his friends, never wanting to hang out with me. I spent my time holed up in my room.

A rift had grown between us--a rift I didn't know how to close. A rift I didn't know if I wanted to close.

"We're here," he said, getting out of the car. I was so lost in thought I didn't notice.

I got out and unlocked the door, going straight to my room.

I forgot to thank him.