Chapter 17

"So," my mom started, barely concealing her rage. "How was the 'study session'?"

My brother looked at me, and then back at my mom.

"Uh... good?"

"Good?! Really? Because I don't know how much studying you could get done while at a party! I mean, really, Andrew, what were you thinking? I cannot believe you would do something like this! This is so irresponsible! We've been trying and trying to get you to take responsibility and nothing is working! You're going to be an adult soon, why don't you act like it?" My mom screamed.

My dad just glowered at us both, not saying a word.

My mom set her sights on me. "And you, Penelope! I never would have expected this from you. I'm severely dissapointed."

She sighed, rubbing her temples.

"Andrew, you shouldn't have dragged Penelope down to your level. That doesn't excuse her behavior, but you've been a bad influence," my mom said, scowling.

I jumped in. "Nooo! Andrew is the," I hiccupped, "nicest brother I've ever had--he would never do that!"

Andrew doubled over laughing.

"This isn't funny, young man," my dad said.

Andrew nodded, barely able to contain his mirth.

"You two really think this is amusing, huh? You don't think it's serious?" My dad barked.

Andrew said, "No, I understand it is serious--"

"Then you'll understand why I'm grounding you both for two weeks."

Andrew's mouth fell open. "Two... weeks? That's a little extreme--"

"So is breaking the law," my dad said, his jaw set. "I don't want to see you anywhere but in school and at home for the next two weeks. Maybe that will teach you a lesson."

Andrew nodded.

"Now get your asses to bed," he said, getting up and leaving the room.

My mom scowled, then followed after him.

I leaned over onto the table, trying not to throw up.

"You're a lightweight, huh?"

I nodded.

"Okay, here we go," Andrew said, pulling my arm over his shoulder again.

He guided me up the stairs and brought me to my room. He dropped me onto my bed then turned off the lights.

"'Night," he said.

I curled up in my blankets. "Andrew?"

"Yeah?" He said, stopping halfway out the door.

"Thank you."

He hummed, then went to his own room.

* * *

Fuck...

I was stuck in bed, my head pounding. I wanted to stay in bed for the rest of the day, but I couldn't sleep. My stomach hurt like crazy.

I rolled over in my bed and grabbed my phone, thinking that I should probably text Marisol.

I had some texts from Kate, asking where I was, and then some from Ashlynn, asking me why Marisol yelled at me, and then one from Sarah, asking where Marisol was. Eventually they figured out that Jake took her home after she yelled at me.

So it seemed that nobody knew why Marisol and I got into an argument. I let out a sigh of relief. I was lucky--I wasn't going to push my luck by texting her. I shut my phone off.

I wished the whole thing was just a bad dream, but it wasn't. Not only did I lose any chance with Marisol, I also lost our friendship.

For good, this time.

I got up and opened a window, letting the cool breeze circulate around my room. It was a warm Sunday afternoon, and my parents' car wasn't in the driveway.

"Hey, Andrew!" I called.

"What?" He yelled from the other room.

I walked into the hallway. "Where are mom and dad?"

He shrugged. "No clue. Maybe at a work lunch or something."

They went out with clients at lunch for work sometimes, so that made sense.

I walked down to the kitchen and got out some milk and cereal. Andrew trailed after me.

"Can you pass the cereal?" He asked.

I slid it across the table.

The only sound in the room was the clinking of the spoons on the side of the bowls.

"So... uh," I started.

"Yeah?" He said.

"Thanks for sticking out for me," I stammered out. It was awkward talking to him sober.

He nodded. "Any time."

We sat there silently, eating our breakfast.

"Um... Andrew?" We weren't exactly close. Maybe I shouldn't pry...

"What."

"Ummm..."

He dropped his spoon into the bowl. "Spit it out, Penelope."

I cringed. "Okay. Why are... why are mom and dad so harsh to you?"

He looked taken aback. "Bold question. Well, if you want to know..." He sighed, rubbing his temples. "It's because I'm not perfect like you."

I laughed. "Oh, I think I've definitely proved I'm not perfect."

"They still found a way to blame it on me."

I paused, biting my lip. "I'm sorry."

Andrew stared into his milk. "It's not your fault we have shitty parents."

I looked away. "Yeah..."

This was sufficiently awkward.

Andrew broke the silence. "Oh, I was wondering--since I jumped in to defend you and all--why was that bitch screaming at you like that?"

"Oh... it's a long story." I paused, wondering how much I should say. "We were friends, we got into a fight over her boyfriend... it's whatever." I figured that was true enough.

"What, do you like him?"

I spit the milk from my cereal out. Me, like Jake? I practically hated the guy. "No! It's just... she's too good for him. I don't think they should be together." I stopped, biting my lip. Was I saying too much? Did it sound like I liked Marisol? "But she's too obsessed to think straight," I added in, hoping I sounded convincing.

"Well, she still has a say in all of this. If she likes him, she likes him. Who says you know best?" Andrew said, pointing his spoon towards me.

I sighed. "I know. I just wish... I just wish they weren't dating."

"Why do you care so much?" He asked.

I looked out the window. "She... never spends time with me anymore." That much was true.

"Maybe you should talk to her about that," he suggested.

"Not after last night I can't," I said, burying my head in my hands.

"How did it even escalate like that?" He asked.

Oh no, treading in dangerous territory. "I... uh... I said she shouldn't be making out with him at a party."

"And she blew up at you over that?" He asked. Jeez, what was this, the third degree?

I shook my head. "There was more to it than that."

He looked at me. "It sounds like you're making excuses for her."

I frowned. Maybe I was.