Chapter 31

A/N: Sorry for putting off writing this. I guess I didn't want the story to end. Also, I read every single one of your comments. I appreciate them so, so much. Thank you for reading.

***

I walked into school on Monday, looking around. It felt like all eyes were on us. I squeezed Marisol's hand tighter, pulling her towards my locker.  All whispers stopped as we drew closer to the crowds of other students in the hallways.

I unlocked my locker in silence, taking out my books.

It felt like all eyes were boring into my back as I threw my notebooks into my backpack. Whispers started up again.

"Penny..."

"What!" I snapped.

It grew silent at my words and my face grew hot.

"Sorry," I said, turning away from my locker. Marisol looked at her feet, her dark hair falling in front of her eyes.

I didn't mean to snap...

I tucked a strand of hair behind her ears, making her look up at me.

"Fuck everyone else. Let's go to class."

She smiled softly. "Okay."

Marisol was more silent than usual. The world seemed a little fuzzier--no, a little dimmer without her light.

She was my sol after all.

I rolled my eyes at my own comment. I was so sappy.

Still, I didn't know what to do. Marisol wasn't herself. I squeezed her hand again as we went into Mr. Lenn's room. I sighed. If there was anything that could make me feel better, it was precalc.

Not.

We took our seats as Mr. Lenn went up to the front of the class.

"Everyone, take your seats. We're going to talk about everyone's favorite subject: trig."

Groans echoed around the classroom.

"Don't sound too excited."

We jumped into the lesson. Normally Marisol's pencil would be racing across the paper, but today it was still, gripped tightly in her hand.

"Marisol?"

The lead broke against the paper.

"Hm?" She looked up at me. "Yeah, I'm fine..." Marisol mumbled, dazed.

"I didn't even ask you anything," I whispered.

She blinked rapidly, pulling herself out of her daydream. "Oh, right."

Marisol turned to face me. Her beautiful brown eyes looked... duller, somehow.

I bit my lip. I hated seeing her like this. I just wanted my girlfriend to be happy. Was that so much to ask?

I opened my mouth to say something, but the bell rang, snapping us out of our moment.

"Make sure to finish that worksheet for homework!" Mr. Lenn called out as everyone rushed out of the room.

As Marisol and I packed up our stuff, Mr. Lenn came over. "Is everything okay with you two? I understand it's been difficult here, but I want to make school a safe environment. Do I need to call someone?"

I smiled at his concern, looking at Marisol. "Do you want him to call someone?"

Marisol shook her head vigorously. "No, I don't want anyone else to get involved."