Chapter 27

Marisol and I were allowed to leave as the principal delt with Jake and Andrew. I was given a week of detention for my snarky comment, but I didn't mind. I didn't regret what I said.

"Are you okay?" I asked, holding Marisol's hand.

"Just shaken up, that's all," she said softly. Her body language told a different story. Her breaths were shallow, her hands shaking. Blood pooled on her lip from biting it so hard.

My heart hurt for her. I squeezed Marisol's hand, not knowing what to do to make her feel better. "It's okay," I whispered, trying to console her. "What happened?"

She took a shaky breath. "I was coming in to school to look for you. I wanted to make sure you were okay. And then he cornered me. I tried to get away but--" Marisol choked up.

"It's okay," I said, rubbing circles into her hand.

She nodded. "I tried to get away but he shoved me back. He said the usual, how we're disgusting and whatever. He also threatened you and said he would go after you if we didn't break up. And then he said he would kill me."

I nodded. "I heard that much..." I sighed. "I'm so, so sorry."

I honestly thought that we should have been allowed to go home, but we were stuck in school, with stares following our every move.

We got to precalc and I opened the door for her. She walked in and I went in behind her.

Everyone's eyes followed us as we made our way to our seats. Whispers filled the classroom.

"Okay everyone, settle down," Mr Lenn said to the class. "Girls, do you have a pass?"

"We just came from the office," I said.

Mr. Lenn's mouth made an "o" shape. "Got it. Go ahead and take a seat."

We sat down and took out our materials for the class.

The girl in front of us leaned back in her seat as Mr. Lenn started teaching. "What happened back there? Is it true you guys are lesbos? And why did that guy fight Jake?"

The rest of the students listened in, but pretended not to. It was obvious the whole school was curious about what happened.

I looked to Marisol, who was biting her lip. I sent her a look. She turned her head to me.

We communicated with our eyes. The general consensus was that we wanted to keep things to ourselves.

Marisol and I turned back to our work, writing some things down in our notes. The girl stared at us expectantly. I just shrugged at her. When it became abundantly clear that we weren't going to answer any questions, she scoffed and turned back around.

Once the bell rang, I realized we'd have to go to lunch. My palms began to sweat.

I stayed still, waiting for everyone to file out of the classroom. Then I addressed Marisol, "Are you ready to face our friends?"

Marisol took a deep breath in and nodded. "If they're really our friends, we have nothing to get ready for."

"Damn, wise words," I giggled.

She smirked. "You know me. Always wise."

We fell into laughter. It was the most light-hearted conversation we'd had in days.

"Girls," Mr. Lenn pulled us from our conversation. "Are you okay?"

"I'm okay," I said slowly. I glanced over at Marisol.

"I'm okay too," she said. She seemed to be doing a lot better.

Mr. Lenn scratched his head. "Okay. Just know you can come to me if you need anything."