Chapter 25

Trigger warning: Minimal violence, slurs

* * *

Jake's gaped at us. "You're... you're a lesbo?"

I cringed at the word.

Behind him were his parents. Obviously, he was there for some fancy dinner with family. Just our luck that it was the same night as us.

"Jake--"

"You left me for that bitch?!" He said, gritting his teeth.

His parents stared at us, too shocked to reprimand their son.

He huffed. "I can't believe you. I knew there was something up with her but I didn't know you were fucking her!"

I flushed. "We're not--"

"Shut up! I don't want to hear anything from you!" He yelled at me.

I shrunk back into my seat, a lump in my throat. I wanted to stand up for myself, but something about his presence looming over me made me feel so small.

Marisol looked at me, anger in her eyes. She whipped back to face him. "How dare you talk to her like that! You don't own me, Jake!"

"I have every right to be angry at you, you little--"

The hostess walked up calmly beside the table. "I'm going to have to ask you three to leave. You are causing a scene and making the rest of the guests uncomfortable," she said smoothly, her eyes flitting from Jake to Marisol. Despite her calm voice, she twiddled her thumbs nervously.

"Fine. Let's go," Jake said, stalking off to the exit. His parents stayed there in shock, still not moving.

I took Marisol by the arm and pulled her out, fuming. How could he talk to her like that? There were tears briming in her eyes, but they weren't sad. They were anything but. I could tell by the way she was squeezing my hand that she was infuriated.

We got to the entrance, Jake nowhere to be found. He probably left already. Marisol and I opened the door and stepped out into the night. It was chilly out, the wind whistling past my ears. Normally I liked this kind of weather, but tonight it seemed forboding.

Marisol took a deep breath to calm down.

"Do you have a ride home?" I asked, turning to her.

She shook her head. "I was hoping you could give me a ride. I know I should have asked earlier but I forgot..."

I took her hand. "It's okay, I can call my brother and--"

My voice caught in my throat when I saw Jake walk towards us. He laughed.

"What, you thought we were done here?" He asked.

I gripped Marisol's hand harder.

He got closer. "I'm still pissed."

Marisol ground her teeth together. "What is wrong with you? We broke up."

"We broke up because you're a lesbo," Jake spat. "I can't believe I ever dated you, whore."

"Don't call her that," I snapped.

"Stay out of this, bitch," he said, turning to me. I stared him down.

He broke the gaze, turning back to Marisol. "As for you. Did you break up with me for her?" He asked, jabbing his thumb at me.

Marisol sighed. "It doesn't matter why we broke up. We're not together. I'm free to date whoever I want--"