Chapter 16

We arrived, hopping out of the car. Kate took my hand and pulled me inside.

"I'm guessing this is your first party?" She asked. I blushed and nodded.

"No need to be embarassed! Just remember to stay safe," she said. We opened the door and were greeted with people all around. Someone had a stereo and was playing music. I started walking through the crowd, trying to see if Marisol was there already.

God, I had Marisol off my mind for an hour and suddenly she was back. I needed to forget about her.

I eyed a red solo cup on the kitchen counter.

That could work.

I downed the cup in one gulp, slamming it down on the counter. Some girl next to me cheered. 

I gagged. Ew, that was disgusting. My throat burned. I didn't even know what was in it.

I looked out into the crowd and saw a flash of brown hair, a red crop top. Oh my god, it was Marisol.

I poured myself another cup and downed that one too.

I was starting to feel a little tispy. It wasn't that bad, but I could feel buzzing in my head. It was like a nice headache.

I started walking towards the living room. "Hey!" I said to some guy in my French class. "You're Mark, right?"

He nodded, eyeing me strangely.

"You're in my French class--you might not know me. I gave you notes that one time? Anyway, I didn't think I'd see you here! How's it going?" I said.

Why was I talking to Mark? I didn't quite know. I just felt a little talkative.

His friends laughed, nudging him. "It's going fine. You're Penelope?"

I smiled. "Yeah, but my friends call me The Pen."

He and his friends started cracking up. I started laughing with them.

Suddenly someone roughly grabbed my shoulder and pulled me away.

"Penelope? What are you doing here?"

It was Andrew. Ugh. I knew he didn't like me but he didn't have to annoy me when I was just starting to have some fun.

"Don't worry, I was invited," I said, trying to pull away from him.

"Penelope, that's not the problem here," he said, pulling me back.

"You're my brother, not my mom. Screw off." I pushed him off and walked into a different room.

He didn't follow me, thankfully.

I walked into a room with a couch. On that couch was someone familiar. Marisol. She was sitting and talking to Jake, laughing about something.

I felt something twist in my gut. I turned on my heel, wobbling a little, and speed-walked out of the room and into the kitchen. It was a little quieter in there, so I could collect my thoughts. I scanned the room for more alcohol, but it looked like it was moved. Sighing, I turned back to the living room.

The music was way too loud. I was no longer in a good mood. I sat down on an armchair, sulking.

"Hey, why are you so sad?" Some guy said, sitting by me.

"Screw off," I said, my thoughts back to Marisol.

"Hey, do need to be so angry. Girls are prettier when they smile," he said, turning up the corners of his mouth.

I flipped him the bird and stood up, stalking my way back to the other room. I just wanted to get away from him.

Luckily, he didn't follow me. Unluckily, I walked in on Marisol and Jake making out. They were going at it, his hand in her hair, her arms wrapped around his neck.