Chapter 19

For another two weeks, Marisol and I didn't speak to each other. We looked at each other occasionally, but mostly, it was tense silence. I didn't know how much longer I could take it. Especially since we were partners in the robotics club, and that meeting was today.

I walked in the door, my shoulders tense. My eyes scanned the room.

No Marisol.

I let out a breath and walked over to my seat. Pulling out my chair, I booted up the computer. It whirred as the screen lit up, asking me to log in. I typed in my password.

"Incorrect password. Please try again," the computer read.

I tapped out the password again.

"Incorrect password. Please try again," it repeated.

I clenched my fist. "Fine," I hissed.

I typed it again.

"Incorrect password. Please try--"

"Shut up!" I screamed, throwing my chair back. The low chatter in the club room died instantly as all eyes fell on me. My face flushed as I backed up.

"Need help with that?"

I whirled around. There was Marisol, her shiny brown hair tied up in a messy bun, a necklace draped carefully around her neck. She looked perfect and I hated that. Marisol's dark eyes that were once so warm were now cold and harsh as they flicked from my face to the screen.

She pulled out my chair and plopped down, typing in the password to our shared user. Immediatly it logged her in.

I ground my teeth, but tried not to let it show. I didn't want her to know how much she bothered me. I pulled out a different chair and sat down next to her, leaning on my elbow as she pulled up the project.

She began looking over our code, adding in some things here and there. We didn't speak. All I could do was stare at her. All my anger at Marisol melted away as she sat beside me. Her nose was scrunched up in concentration, her perfect nails tapping away at the keyboard. She looked adorable when she concentrated.

Her eyes met mine and my face went red. She noticed me staring.

Instead of calling me out, Marisol broke the silence. "I have to go to the bathroom, wanna come?"

I rolled my eyes. "What, you can't go on your own?" I bit back, my annoyance welling up again.

"If you want to continue being alone, I won't stop you," she said, getting up.

That stung.

She was by the door. The empty seat beside me felt like it was screaming at me.

I didn't want to continue being alone.

I sighed, pushing back my chair to get up. Marisol waited for me, and then we walked towards the bathroom together.

We got there and I stood by the sinks, waiting for her to go into a stall.

She didn't.

I looked at her funny. "Are you gonna go to the bathroom or--"

"Or do this?"

She leaned forward, connecting our lips. I was starstruck. Never in a million years would I have thought this would happen.

I kissed back, then pushed away, realizing what was happening.

"You publically humiliated me for wanting this," I gestured between us. I crossed my arms. "What changed?"

Marisol sighed. "I've been denying how I felt about you for a while. I know being with another girl is wrong... but I can't help it. I like you. I just... I got scared. My aunt and uncle took me in, they've done so much for me--I don't want to dissapoint them."