*Turtlejou

The one problem the DOD found with having dragons from all the tribes in one school, was that all of them came from different climates, and different climates had different illnesses.

So when all the germs came together, it was chaos. Sick chaos. Nobody had died (yet) but it was still a disaster.

Kinkajou was especially worried since the rest of the Rainwing students had come down with a harsh flu that Sunny thought came from the Sandwing Kingdom. Kinkajou didn't particularly care about the illnesses origin- she just didn't like seeing her friends sick. No one was really sure why Kinkajou herself was immune, but sometimes things were weird like that.

Qibli and Winter were currently sick, ironically with illnesses from the other's kingdoms. Moon visited them regularly in the infirmary, but Kinkajou avoided the place as much as she could. The infirmary reminded her too much of both the Nightwing island where the Rainwings had been experimented on, and also when she'd been knocked into a coma. Neither were pleasant memories.

Turtle also avoided the infirmary, so Kinkajou found herself spending a lot more time with him, to Turtle's awkwardness and delight.

But one day, when they were walking down the hallway, Turtle coughed.

"Are you getting sick?" Kinkajou asked.

"No, I just coughed-" He started, but that was it. The idea had been planted in her mind.

"You do look pale," She insisted. "Come on, you should lie down."

"I'm fine!" He began.

"That's EXACTLY what a sick person at school would say!" She dragged him, not to the infirmary, but to her own sleeping cave.

"Why are we-" Turtle tried again.

"The beds in your sleeping cave are SUPER uncomfortable, and you know it. The hammocks are the best place in the school to stay, and I just happen to have one so you're going to lie there and rest until you're better."

"I'm not sick, and even if I was, wouldn't lying in your bed make you sick?"

"I don't get sick. Now lie down!" He did as he was told, knowing it was no use to argue with her.

"Now you take a nap while I go figure out ways to help a sick dragon that doesn't involve going to the infirmary."

"Isn't an infirmary the best place to go-"

"Probably, but I hate it there, and you only coughed once, so unless you're going to die, I think we should avoid it."

"Fair enough." He didn't want to there either. Kinkajou bounced out of the room, and Turtle lay in the hammock, which was surprisingly comfortable, thinking about it all.

He wasn't sick. He knew that. But he DID like the fact that Kinkajou was planning to take care of him.... He didn't need the attention, but he cherished every second she spent with him, especially after the whole fiasco with Anemone enchanting her feelings.

Maybe he'd just play along for a while, just to humor Kinkajou.

She came back a few minutes later, frowning when she saw that he was still awake.

"You're supposed to be NAPPING," She said. "I don't understand why dragons from other tribes have such a hard time with that concept." Turtle shrugged.

"I'm just not tired."

"Okaaaaay, well I found a bunch of stuff to do for sick dragons, so bear with me."

"Okay." 

"First I have to figure out your symptoms. Do you have a fever?"

"I don't think so."

"Let me check," She reached out and rest her talons on his forehead, and Turtle found his face going warm at the touch. "Hmmm, maybe a little one. And we know you have a cough. Is your stomach upset?"

Hi stomach was currently full of enough butterflies that he thought Monarchs would fly out of his mouth if he talked, but he didn't say that, especially when Kinkajou was sitting on the edge of the hammock, her talons still resting on the side of his face.

"No," He insisted.

"I don't think you're been sneezing or throwing up, so maybe you just have a little cold."

"That sounds right."

"Then yay! I'm a good doctor!"

"One of the best without medical training," He grinned. 

"Great! Oh, here," She grabbed a camel skin blanket and threw it over him. "In case you're cold. Are you hungry? I could get you some food."

"No, I'm fine."

"Okay, well then go to sleep, because according to Sunny, Laughter and Sleep are the best medicines, but sleeping is better for you when you're sick."

"But I'm not tired!"

"Well then I'll have to make you sleepy!" Kinkajou looked around the room, her eyes landing on one of Moon's discarded history scrolls. "Perfect! Nothing puts a dragon to sleep like the wise words of Webs!"

"You're not wrong," He agreed as she came running back over.

"Scooch over," She insisted, and Turtle moved so that they could both lay in the hammock together.

Oh yeah, Turtle thought. I need to be sick more often.

He didn't remember falling asleep, but he must've, because when he woke up Kinkajou was asleep beside him, and Moon was standing before the hammock like a disapproving parent, her arms crossed.

"It's not what it looks like," He whispered immediately, not wanting Kinkajou to wake up, but also not wanting Moon to murder him.

"Then explain," She ordered.

"Kinkajou thought I was sick and wanted to take care of me."

"You don't look sick."

"I'm not. I just didn't have the heart to tell her." Moon narrowed her eyes.

"Mhmm. I'm telling Tsunami."

"Oh moons no, please don't."

"Why not? She'll want to add this to her list of cutest things her siblings have done for their Rainwing crushes."

"Wait....WHO DOES ANEMONE HAVE A CRUSH ON?"

"Tamarin," Kinkajou mumbled, half awake. "E'rebody knows that."