*Clifflet

Cliff and Auklet had been dating for years.

It was all very secretive, of course. They talked mostly between letters, and the occasional visit to the beaches of the Sky Kingdom when they could both escape the duties royalty required of them, but the little contact they had was enough for them to fall in love. 

Nobody knew, of course. The point of a secret relationship was that no one had any idea it was going on. It would be difficult, if not impossible, for them to have a relationship in public, Cliff and Auklet knew. They were royalty, from two Kingdoms who did not have a history of good relations. The Skywings and the Seawings disliked each other almost as much as the Nightwings and Icewings or the Nightwings and Rainwings. Cliff thought it was because of the death of Princess Sunset and Eagle, way back in Albatross's time, whereas Auklet believed it was because of the attack on the Seawing Palace during the war.

But whatever the reason, the tribes didn't like each other, so for the Seawings youngest princess to be dating the Skywing's only prince? It was impossible. But Cliff and Auklet didn't care. They loved each other. And if Queen Thorn and Queen Glory could be with Nightwings, then why couldn't they be together? It wasn't like their relationship would affect the throne too much. Auklet had no intention of becoming queen, and Cliff had a younger sister so the Skywings crown was of no importance to him.

They were going to live their own lives together, away from royalty for the most part. They weren't concerned about how the tribes would react to them, so when Cliff asked Auklet if she wanted to marry him, of course she said yes. How could she not, when they loved each other so dearly?

But then came the problem. A secret dating relationship was one thing. A secret marriage? That was even more impossible than the tribes approving of their relationship. Someone had to officiate a wedding, and they knew news would get out once a third dragon knew. 

The secrets in their relationship had to end, and both Cliff and Auklet knew it. So they decided at one of their visits that they would tell their families about their engagement, and await the reaction. If Coral or Ruby disapproved, they would run away and elope. If one Queen approved and the other didn't, they'd move to the approving kingdom. They had a plan for everything, except, of course, the possibility that Coral would keep Auklet tied to her again and forbid her to see Cliff. But even Auklet was starting to craft an idea for that one.

They would be together. They promised each other that. It was a matter of when, not if, and it excited them both.

But while he was thrilled that Auklet had agreed to marry him, Cliff was still a bit afraid to tell his mother that he was engaged. He and Ruby were so close. He didn't want this to ruin their relationship.

He approached her quietly in the library of the Skywing Palace, while Ruby was writing letters to the queens regarding their upcoming meetings. 

"Mother?" He started carefully, even though he was bouncing with excitement. "I have to tell you something."

"What is it?" Ruby looked up at him, smiling.

"I'm engaged." Ruby dropped her pencil.

"What?" 

"I'm engaged." Cliff repeated confidently. "To Princess Auklet of the Seawings." Ruby stared.

"You were DATING Princess AUKLET?"

"I have been for a number of years, yes. We just kept things secret because we worried about how you and Coral would react. But we're happy together and I love her and I asked her to marry me and she said yes, so we're engaged and I wanted to tell you."