03: I Like It

A couple days passed without a word from Kai which wasn't entirely unusual, but considering everything he'd told me at the docks that night I'd hoped for at least a little something. Not knowing what was going on, and not being able to get the information on my own, was killing me.

I was lying on my table listening to music and trying to relax when I felt a shift in the air. Opening an eye, I caught Minnie as she made her way in the room and sat down in the chair beside me.

"You've been quiet lately. More than usual," she said, leaning her head in her hands. "What's going on?"

Soyeon had an idea what was going on with me – or at least that I was running from something and it had something to do with Bangtan – but not enough to get herself or the other girls in trouble. I had to be careful what I told them for their own good.

"Just feeling a little lost, I guess." It wasn't a total lie.

Minnie nodded. "I can understand that. Soyeon said you used to be in a gang, but you left?"

I scoffed and pulled my earbuds out of my ears. "You could say that."

"They kicked you out," Minnie asked, straightening.

"Not exactly," I said, refusing to look at her.

Rolling her lip between her teeth, Minnie seemed to shift tactics. I could tell there was something she wanted to ask, but she wasn't sure how to ask it.

"What's up," I asked, sitting up on the table and swinging my feet over the side.

She glanced behind her like she expected someone to be there, then sighed. "Well, we kind of have this job tonight and I...well, we...wanted to see if you could give us a hand. Soyeon said you know your way around weapons."

My heart ticked a few beats higher. What were they getting themselves into? "I do. What's the job?"

Her face brightened, but I could tell she was trying not to look too hopeful. "We're delivering a shipment of guns to this club..."

"What club?"

"The Blue Melody."

I breathed a sigh of relief. I wasn't going anywhere near Wings. "When are you leaving?"

"About thirty minutes," she answered, biting her lip again. "We just thought you could give us a hand with backup. Watch our backs while we make the trade. Soojin is a great shot, but she's better as a sniper than close range and Miyeon—"

A crash and a squeal from the other room made us both jerk. Miyeon's voice yelling out "I'm okay" quickly followed.

"Is Miyeon," I finished for her.

"Yeah. She's good at making deals, but she's kind of a disaster sometimes."

I laughed despite my sour mood. "Yeah, I'll help. I'll just need to borrow a couple guns."

Minnie's face brightened. "Oh, I've got plenty! You can take your pick." She hopped up off the chair and quickly disappeared out the door. I poured myself off the table and followed her up the stairs to the apartments they kept for themselves. Minnie's room was small and somewhat cluttered, with designer clothes scattered around on the floor and hanging off the backs of chairs. It was easy to tell where her money went and I was a little jealous of the clothes. I missed the ones Taehyung had bought me.

Thinking of Tae was like a stab to the heart. I leaned against the doorway for a minute until the pain passed. If Minnie noticed the agony on my face, she didn't mention it as she walked to her closet and pulled back a false wall. My mouth dropped to the floor when I saw what she was hiding in the small space.