04: Boyz With Fun

It had been a long time since I'd been to a club without there being an ulterior motive to it. As the sea of bodies rose up and swelled around me, I clung to Minnie's hand to keep from getting separated. I took a few deep breaths to try and steady my heart, but there were too many people in too small a space for me to be comfortable. Minnie led me toward the center of the room where everyone was dancing and I tried to follow her movements, though I looked more like an epileptic in the middle of a medical emergency. Yuqi and Shuhua had joined us and the three of them were so good that half of the people around us had stopped just to stare at them.

After about five minutes of flailing around like a newborn giraffe trying to stand, I gave up. I leaned forward and shouted into Minnie's ear. "I'm going to get a drink. You want anything?"

She just shook her head and turned to Yuqi and Shuhua, lost in her own world. I shook my own head as I fought my way out of the quagmire of bodies and to the front of the bar. It took a few minutes to get the bartender's attention, but he was quick about getting me my drink. It was strong and fruity, just the way I liked. I took it and fought my way over to the edge of the room to watch the human circus playing out in front of me.

"Not much of a dancer, are you?" Ilhoon's sudden voice in my ear made me jump. I looked up at him with a mix of shock and awe. My senses were thrown off with all the movement going on around me.

Licking my lips, I looked away from his heated stare. "Apparently not."

"Why don't you join me up in my box, then. There are fewer people there at least."

I didn't look at him right away as I weighed his offer. He could probably tell how uncomfortable I was around so many thrashing bodies, but I wasn't sure if he was trying to manipulative or genuinely considerate. When I glanced back at his face, his stare was stony and indecipherable.

A young woman dressed in a leather bodycon dress fell towards me as she was walking by, knocking my drink and nearly spilling it on Ilhoon's designer suit. I reached out and steadied her, hanging on to her arm until she got her spiky shoes back underneath her. She looked up at me with a drunken smile and gave me a slurred 'thank you' before her giggling friends caught up to her and pushed her forward with hushed sorries and quickly bowed heads.

"The box sounds fantastic," I said as they disappeared into the crowd.

Ilhoon chuckled and placed his hand on my upper back as he ushered me toward the stairs to the VIP area. I cast a glance over my shoulder to check on the girls, but there was no way I could see them in that mess of people.

Their club was set up similarly to Wings, but the boxes were closed in with glass walls that frosted over when Ilhoon hit the control panel on the side. My senses kicked up to high gear, but on the plus side I could hear better in the soundproofed room. Four other guys sat around on the leather couches and looked up when we entered the room.

"Selene, these are my friends," he said, pointing at the guy on the left first. "Eunkwang, Hyunsik, Peniel, and Sungjae. Guys, this is Soyeon's new recruit."

The first guy, Eunkwang bowed his head, but didn't take his dark eyes off me. Hyunsik and Sungjae looked way past drunk, while Peniel stared at me with detached interest. I bowed to them respectfully before taking the empty spot beside Eunkwang, who turned his body toward me, propping his arm on the back of the couch.

"So Soyeon took on a new member, huh? That's unusual for her. She must have seen something powerful in you."

I choked slightly on my drink, but played it off. Eunkwang's hard eyes were scrutinizing as the rest of the guys continued talking about whatever they were discussing before I'd joined them.