09: You Never Walk Alone

I woke up the next morning to a weight on my chest. When I looked down, Kai was sprawled out over me, his face soft and puffy with sleep. At some point in the night, he had taken off his suit jacket, but he still had on his undershirt and pants. I shifted slightly, trying not to disturb him while still being able to breathe under his solid muscle weight.

As much as I tried, though, his eyes fluttered and he wrapped his arm tighter around my waist. "Nope. Not time to wake up yet," he mumbled, pouting his lips a little.

"I'm just trying to get your big head off my chest so I can breathe," I said with a giggle.

His smile was adorable as he shifted his weight and slid up on the bed. He propped his upper body up on his elbow and looked down at me. Dappled golden light glowed radiantly off his cocoa skin and I was lost in the beauty of him for just a moment. I sucked in a breath when his thumb caught my jaw, tilting my head back into the pillows. I closed my eyes and rolled my lower lip between my teeth, not sure what his intentions were, but not wanting to scare him off from whatever they were either.

"Your neck looks much better this morning." His fingers traced the line across my throat. I had the feeling that the burn I felt had nothing to do with my previous injury. "You really do heal fast."

"Mmm hmm." It was the best I could say in my position. Especially considering the wild emotions running through me when I remembered that I was just in a t-shirt and panties.

Kai let my jaw go and braced his hand on the side of my head. I looked up into his espresso colored eyes, hoping to get an idea of what was going through his head but I couldn't make anything out. We just stayed like that for a minute, both of us looking a little unsure of ourselves.

"Thank you for staying with me last night," I finally whispered.

"Of course. You looked a little lost."

"I was. It's been hard since..."

His eyes trailed down to my lips like my openness was too much for him. "I know."

When he raised his eyes back to mine, heat blossomed in my chest and I had the thought of how easy it would be just to lift my head up a little and kiss him. I wondered what it would be like. What his lips would feel like. Would they be firm and hungry like Namjoon's? Or soft and sensual like Taehyung's?

And just like that, pain settled in my chest where the desire had been only a second before. I knew by the way his eyes hardened that he could sense it.

"Are they okay?'

With agonizing slowness, Kai took a deep breath and pushed away from me, sitting up to my right. I pulled the hem of my t-shirt down to cover my thighs as much as I could before rolling over to look at him.

"They're fine. They were able to take out the attackers without incident. They have Ravn and are questioning him to see who he was working for."

I sat up, turning to him and crossing my legs. "I know who he's working for. I saw him the night I went with Soyeon's crew to the Blue Melody. He was working with Ilhoon and Cha Hakyeon."

Kai's eyebrows knitted together. "How the hell do you know that?"

"Ilhoon took me up to his VIP room when me and the girls were at the club and Hakyeon came up with another guy. Ravn ran up just before he walked in, so I guess he was working security for Ilhoon's crew. Well, Eunkwang's crew."

"Wait...Eunkwang was there, too?"

I squinted my eyes as I stared at Kai, not catching the problem. Wasn't Hakyeon the one to be worried about? "Yes...he said he just got back from serving in the military."