33: Just One Day

Hot water stung my face and shoulders as I stood under the shower sprayer in the bathroom Jungkook and I shared. My muscles screamed in agony, but all I could do was stand there as I replayed the conversation with Yoongi and Jin in the field.

"What do you mean, 'time to go see Ravn'," I had asked. "Didn't you kill him at the auction house?"

Yoongi lost his smile and refused to look at me, choosing to lose himself in his tablet again though it still wasn't working. "No. He's still in the basement."

"Why in the name of all things holy would you keep him alive," I cried, my voice barely below a terrified scream. Of all the beings like me that I'd faced, Ravn was easily the scariest. Something about him felt off, even more than expected for a cold-blooded killer. He felt wrong. Like he wasn't meant for this world.

Jin was the one to answer me. His tone had calmed down like he knew how close I was to losing something important in my mind. "We can't. We've tried. He heals even faster than you do."

"And that sounds normal to you?"

"Of course not. But he's not talking no matter what we do so the only thing we can think of is getting you to do...that thing you do."

I knew what thing he was talking about but I didn't want to tell him what a bad idea that was. Something deep down was flashing a warning at me not to go near him. But if Ravn held the answers to getting into AT3's compound, I wasn't sure I had a choice. The other men looked uncomfortable as we talked, too, but Jungkook was the only one to speak up.

"Do you really think it's a good idea to put her in there with him? There are a lot of factors we don't understand here."

"No, I think it's a terrible idea," Jin snapped. "But if Morgan is determined to do this, we don't have any other options left. We've exhausted all other avenues."

"I'll do it."

Jungkook's eyes went wide and he stepped up to my side. "Don't do this. There's no way it's going to end well."

I shook my head. "Jin's right. We have no other options. I have to do this if I'm going to save Kai."

"He's not your responsibility. He knew what he was getting into. You heard him on that recording. He specifically told you not to come for him. If going to Ravn is the only way to save him, maybe you weren't meant to save him."

I spun around and stepped up to Jungkook, looking up into his dark, worried eyes. "It's my fault he's in this situation and I'm not letting anyone else die for me. I got Hwasa killed and they took her and changed her into what she is. If I had saved her, none of this would have happened. It's my fault. So yes, it's my responsibility to save him."

Without another word, I stormed into the house and went straight to my room, not even stopping when I ran into Namjoon at the door. I could feel his eyes on me as I jogged up the steps, but I didn't stop to talk to him. If I stopped, I might lose my resolve and that was unacceptable.

I'd gone straight to the shower to wash off the sweat and blood from the fight and to try and clear my head before I met with Ravn.

A knock on the bathroom door pulled me from my thoughts. "I brought you some towels," Jin called from the other side.

"Okay, thanks. Can you set one on the counter for me," I called back. Jin stepped into the foggy room, keeping his eyes away from the glass and stone shower as he put the fresh towel on the counter for me.

"Actually," I said, catching him as he was retreating through the door, "can I get your help with something?"

"Um...sure. What do you need?"