18: No

"No."

I looked from Jimin to Taehyung, my eyes wide and lost. If my life ended here, maybe it wouldn't be so bad. If it ended at the hands of the men I loved? I don't know how I felt about that. But the second Tae said no, relief flooded my veins.

"What do you mean, no," Jimin demanded with fire in his eyes.

Taehyung slung his rifle over his shoulder and gave Jimin a lazy look. "I'm not going to kill her. I believe her."

"Of course you do," Jimin grumbled as he turned away.

"Thank you, Tae." I started to reach for him, but his eyes narrowed and he backed away.

"I said I believe you about this, but it's going to take a lot of explaining for me to trust you again."

I took a deep breath, trying to suppress my anger. After all we've been through and everything I did for him, he dared to tell me he didn't trust me? "Fine. I'll explain everything, but I can't do it now, and I can't do it here."

"There's no way in hell I'm letting you out of my sight now," Jimin growled. "You might have him fooled, but not me."

"Fine," I repeated with a glare. "Then follow me. You can help."

I didn't give either of them time to argue before I spun around on my feet and climbed back in the car. Tae silently walked back to theirs, but Jimin glared at me the whole time as he passed. I rolled my eyes. He hadn't been fully on board with me to begin with, so it was no surprise that he was the most suspicious then.

It was a small miracle that no one had come down the road while we were out, but I didn't waste any time getting back on the road. I didn't have any time to spare. Hakyeon's office wasn't much farther down the road and when we came to it, I pulled into the back alley behind a Dumpster. Taehyung stopped their car about an inch from my bumper.

I looked down at the nonexistent space between the cars then up at Taehyung with a dead espression on my face. "Really?"

He was trying hard not to smile. "Can't have you ditching us when you think our backs are turned." He swung the keys around a few times before stashing them in his pocket. He left his rifle in the car, but I knew he was still packing more weapons somewhere else.

"Why are we here," Jimin asked as he met us next to the building. I had the option of going through the back door, but I had a sneaking suspicion it was wired, so I started looking around the alley for another option. There was a rusted fire escape to the side and when I backed up, I could see a series of exhaust pipes on the roof. I jumped up and grabbed the fire escape, then dodged it as it fell down with a rattling crash.

"It's Hakyeon's," I said absently as I climbed up the first rung and hopped a little to test the strength. It barely looked serviceable, but I was out of options. "We think he might be hiding information here that can help us take him down."

Taehyung gave Jimin a pointed glance before following me. I was several feet up, but even from my vantage point, I could hear Jimin huff. I tried not to giggle.

The three of us climbed in relative silence to the top of the squat building. Just as I expected, there was a series of exhaust units next to a roof access door.

"I have no idea if this is rigged or not, so be ready to run." Pulling my toolkit from my back pocket, I got to work on the ancient lock. The door itself was thin and probably could've been busted down with minimal effort, but I didn't want to hurt my shoulder and I'd be damned before I asked one of them to help. They both stood to the side and watched as I unlocked it, then we all held a collective breath as I swung it open.