4

I knocked on the door to Charlie's house, it was a two storey dark blue house with flowers lining the pathway to the door and a cobblestone path.

The door opened and i was greeted by a middle aged woman who looked like an older version of Charlie.

"Ms.Gray hi, I'm Gia we spoke on the phone yesterday" i explained, hands shoved down into my back pockets to avoid looking anxious.

"Yes i remember,you were in class with Charlie in elementary weren't you? come on in" she opened the door wider and I stepped past her into the hallway.

The house was really dark, from the flowers outside i expected a lot of light airy colors and natural lighting filtering in, instead what i got was dark curtains blocking every window, keeping the sun out.

"How have you been?" She asks.

"I've been good, just busy with school i guess" she nods in understanding.

" Would you like anything? water? Soda?" She asked.

" No thank you" i replied politely.

"Alright well i was just about to head out. Charlie's room is upstairs at the very end of the hallway to your right. Help yourself to any thing you may need while I'm gone"

We said goodbye and when i got to the landing i heard the faint sound of a door closing.

The upstairs of the house was just as dark as downstairs if not more. I followed Mrs. Gray's instructions and knocked softly on the door at the end of the hall.

It took a few moments before a muffled 'come in' sounded. I closed the door behind me and turned.

Her room was a cool gray and even though it was summer it wasn't exactly hot in nowhere yet her ac was blasting freezing cold breeze all throughout the room.

There wasn't really any decorations but there was a tiny trophy case tucked away in a corner of the room, a window seat in another corner a desk pushed against the wall stacked neatly with books and a bed pushed against another wall. There were two doors that were closed and i assumed they were leading to a closet and a bathroom.

I could barely make out the lump bundled in a blanket underneath a comforter.

Slowly, i walked to the very edge of the bed and her head poked out from under the mountain of sheets.

She blinked lazily before pulling the covers down and moving pillows to finally lean against the wall so she was facing me. Her breaths were labored like she'd just done exercise when all she had done was switch positions.

" hi" she murmured breathlessly.

I waved awkwardly and she patted the space next to her. I quickly took off my shoes and sat down .

She was silent for a couple moments, seemingly focused on gaining her breath back. Her hair was a honey blonde color that was tied up into a very messy bun with a multi colored scrunchie.

" Sorry we couldn't work at a table or something, I'm kind of restricted to my bed" she spoke softly, eyes still closed.

" its cool, i can work with it" i muttered.

The atmosphere in her room was calm and quiet and i didn't want to disturb it so I spoke just as softly as her.

" What's the project about anyway?" she asked, turning her head towards me.

" We have to choose a book and read it together, and write a piece about it" i summarized.

" Mr. Roberts really makes me hate school " she commented, picking lazily at the fabric of the comforter.