ᴏɴᴇ

•••

•••

     Eleanor Dunbar woke up to the sound of her phone going off. Having stayed awake watching Once Upon A Time until the early hours of the morning, the young woman was far too tired to look at the caller ID and just answered, tiredness evident in her voice. "Whoever this is I just want you to know that I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish." she threatened the caller.

      "Elle!?" Asks the voice on the other end of the call.

      "Yes? Can I ask who this is?" Eleanor asked before pulling the phone from her ear to look at the contact name. While doing so she realized her mistake of answering, "Fuck," she muttered. "Hey little brother. How are you?" She ask trying to play off why she hadn't  answered his calls in almost seven years.

      "I mean, I just called to hear your voicemail, it always calms me down when I'm mad," Liam told her, making his sister smile, "I wasn't expecting you to actually answer."

      She chuckled humorlessly into the phone, "yeah about that. I'm sorry I didn't call Liam, it just wasn't safe for me to be at home for a while." Elle cryptically told the teenager, "Anyway, what's got you so mad you had to listen to my melodic voice?" She asked, genuinely laughing for the first time in what felt like forever.

      She sat up with her back against the headboard and crossed her legs, putting one arm under the other waiting for him to explain.

       "Mom and Dad," he paused, "they decided to bring me to the doctor to see why I'm always getting mad. The results came back saying that I have intermittent explosive disorder. They had me on these pills to help with it but I stopped taking them because they make me tired while I'm on the field." He ranted to the woman.

      "Look baby brother," she started, stopping to find the right words to say next. "I have IED also. Our bio dad had me taking the pills in the morning so that I could still play at afternoon practice, I took a nap during third period everyday because it was English and I'm the best in that subject. Just tell your teacher and coaches what's going on and I'm sure they will be perfectly fine with it." She told him, hoping it made him feel better or at the very least gave him another option to think about.

      "What if they do? You know, have a problem with it." He asked, sounding a little unsure.

      "Then you have them call me." Elle said chuckling.

      "Ok, I will." Liam said, sounding more relieved now. "Hey, I have a question."

      "What's up?"