A Heartbreak

Hello again chicas! I have officially finished writing Late Nights Chats! Thank you for all the lovely comments again. I hope you like this chapter because it's definitely less angsty than the other one! *sneaky face* hehehehe

Enjoy!

************************************

Marinette spent the weekend in her bed. Her calls were left unanswered, her homework was left unfinished and her mind was left undone. She cried endlessly and when she wasn’t crying, she was sleeping but even then, she was haunted by her feelings. Her dreams were full of blonde-haired green-eyed boys, sometimes Adrien morphing into Chat and vice versa, sometimes, Adrien asking, ‘Why can’t you love me and only me?’ and sometimes Chat smirking at her and whispering, ‘You’ll figure it out, princess.’ She would wake up confused and even more distraught.

Her mum worried for her health because Marinette was losing a lot of fluid but wasn’t eating or drinking anything. Whenever Sabine knocked on the door to put food on her desk, she would find food from earlier lying untouched. On Sunday evening, Sabine dragged Marinette out of bed and forced her to have a shower. “You need to stay positive, honey!” she had said. “This may feel like it’s the end of the world but things will get better.” Marinette didn’t reply.

Monday morning arrived and Marinette begged her mum to let her stay home. Sabine had reluctantly conceded, but only on the condition that she went in on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, at school, Adrien had never felt worse. He had called Marinette on Saturday and texted her but after she didn’t reply, he left her alone. During classes, he looked straight ahead, not absorbing anything the teachers said. At break time, Alya and Nino walked up to him. “So, Adrien,” Alya began. “How did the date go?”

Adrien ran his hand through his hair for what seemed like the umpteenth time that day and sighed heavily, replying, “She said she can’t be with me.”

“Did she say why?” Alya pressed on.

“No. We were about to…” he trailed off, embarrassed. “But she just pulled away and said she was sorry.”

Alya sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, murmuring to herself, “Oh, what am I going to do with that girl?” Adrien picked up his bag and waved goodbye to the couple, wishing the day was over already.

Tuesday crept up on Marinette and she wished she hadn’t promised her mum that she would go in. She threw on a pair of sweatpants and a hoodie. When she was choosing her clothes, she came across Adrien’s hoodie and she felt fresh tears well up in her eyes. She ended up being late to school because she spent 10 minutes crying into the hoodie. Thankfully, neither Sabine nor Tom commented on her tardiness and only wished her a good day.

Marinette burst into the classroom, murmuring apologies to the teacher and hurrying to her seat. She refused to meet eyes with anyone and Adrien felt his heart wither up painfully in his chest. The sight of her tear-streaked face and swollen eyes made a fresh wave of self-hatred crash over him. “How can I want to be with her when I hurt her so much?” Alya prodded Marinette in the arm and gestured to Adrien, mouthing ‘what happened?’ As more tears threatened to spill over, Marinette just shook her head and looked back to the teacher. At the end of the lesson, she rushed out, not giving anyone the chance to ask her anything. Adrien sighed again and trudged out of the classroom. Before he could go to the locker room, however, he felt an arm tug him urgently to the side. He was about to protest when he saw it was Chloe. “What’s up, Chloe?” he asked wearily.

“I’m assuming from the look on both your faces that the date with Marinette ended badly,” Chloe assumed with a bored look on her face.

“Uh, yeah.”