chapter three

"What runs through my heart is beyond what my eyes can see."

-Walter Scott

GERALT HAD HEARD THE PEOPLE OF TRAVEN WERE BLOOD-THIRSTY BEASTS. Their history told a story of a band of people filled with blood and suffering, but when Geralt looked at this mysterious woman who offered him harbor, he saw none of the tales in her painfully blue eyes.

"You are certainly a breath of fresh air." She laughed, her eyes gleaming. She flipped her thick braid over her shoulder and then finished off her ale.

Geralt couldn't remember when was the last time someone actually enjoyed his company. And she didn't want anything from him, she just genuinely wanted to talk to him. It made him feel some sort of way that he didn't exactly like.

"Come on, now, we must be getting to the castle. I've got gifts to give and orders to give the king." When he didn't respond, a smirk crawled over her plump lips. "Well? Are you coming or not?"

He just stood, feeling emotion swirling in his chest. He knew he should say no. He should say no.

He opened his mouth to refuse her offer, but that smirk turned into a genuine smile and her gaze softened with hope when he stood up. How could he say no?

"Yes."

"Phenomenal," she pulled a cloak over her clothing and pulled up her hood. "We have stables, so you can put your horse in there for the night."

Geralt's head was at war with whatever emotion he started to feel when he was around this woman. He didn't know her name and yet he was following her out this door. His lips almost curved into a slight smile as she gushed over Roach.

"You're a beautiful horse, aren't you?" She cooed and pet his muzzle. "What's her name?"

"Roach." He climbed onto Roach and offered his hand to her. She gave him a small smile that he fought the urge to return. Her calloused hand slid in his and he hauled her up so she was sitting in front of him. "You're going to have to tell me where to go."

Geralt guided her hands to Roach's reins and he thought he felt her lean her back into his chest ever-so-slightly.

What was he doing? He never let anyone touch Roach, let alone actually control her.

Did she cast a spell on him that he didn't catch? That's impossible, he would've seen something. Right? He remained silent as the woman guided Roach to the castle.

"My name is Amelia, by the way," she said, glancing back at him.

Amelia. 

"Hm." He grunted in acknowledgment, but his heart picked up pace. He's learned her name. It was beautiful and suited her perfectly. Amelia smelled like honeysuckle and vanilla. It was an expensive smell, but she wore commoners' clothing.

The rest of the ride was silent, most because Geralt was focusing on anything else besides Amelia's touch and warmth. It was hard to do because she was basically draped in his arms, but it wasn't impossible.

When they made it to the front of the castle Geralt slid off of Roach first, then to his own surprise, he offered his hand to Amelia to help her down from his horse's back.

"Geralt, I didn't take you to be such a gentleman." She smiled at him, clearly amused. Amelia took his hand, though, and gracefully slid off Roach. Her other hand lands on his shoulder and she's in his arms again. "Thank you."

She steps away and looks toward one of the guards up front. "Richard, if you wouldn't mind?" Her bright blue eyes slid over to Geralt, who stiffened at the thought of Roach being handled by someone else.

"Hm."

"Geralt." His glare tore from the guard and down to Amelia's face. His name had a certain richness to it when she spoke it. "Do you trust me?"

"I just met you." He grunted out, his voice low.

"I didn't ask that." Amelia placed a small hand on his forearm. "I asked if you trusted me."

And he knew that it was preposterous, but he did. Geralt didn't trust her with his life just yet, but to a certain extent, he trusted Amelia.

He just nodded and she gave him a bright smile before nodded back to the guard. "Thank you, Richard."

"Of course, Your Majesty." He bowed shallowly, then took Roach to the stables. At his words, Geralt's eyes went to Amelia's and everything seemed to click together in his head.

Her eyes pleaded with him not to say anything. "I didn't want you to run off. You are very good company."

"You're Princess Amelia of Traven?" Geralt asked, his voice showing no emotion but Amelia read his eyes easily. He was surprised. But everything made sense in his head. He was stupid for not seeing it earlier.

"I expected you to be..." Geralt looked her up and down. "Taller."

"What?" She exhaled a laugh, relieved that he wasn't angry.

"You've been described as the killer of men. Brutal in your ways and swift with a knife." One side of his mouth curled slightly. "Can you even reach my neck?"

"Geralt!" She laughed, guiding him inside. Her laughter quickly drains away and she straightens her spine. "Time to meet and greet, witcher." He watched in awe as her soft and kind demeanor flushed away.

She pushed open the heavy doors to reveal the four princes and the king sitting and eating dinner. 

"Hello, my flesh and blood! I have yet again brought requests from the people and tiny trinkets so that you might love me even more than you already do!" If Geralt ever laughed, he might've done so then. 

"And is this your witcher, sister?"One of the princes asked and Amelia just scowled at him and slammed a burlap sack on his plate. "What's this?"

"Cow testicles, since you care so much about the superior gender." There were hoots throughout the dining hall and even the side of Geralt's mouth twitched upward slightly. "And yes, this is Geralt of Rivia."

Her blue eyes met his own. "And he's going to lead me to my destiny."