chapter twenty-five

"The ones who really love us, never really leave us."

-unknown

GERALT WOKE UP BEFORE AMELIA DID AND SMILED. She wasn't nestled into his side anymore but still had her fingers intertwined with his.

This was the peace before the storm. 

Before she had to leave him and save her people. He pushed the thought into the back of his head and placed a kiss gingerly on her temple. He should wake her up to go get breakfast with Jaskier.

Amelia shifted in her sleep and reached her arms out, searching for Geralt's warmth. Her small hands landed on his chest and face, then a small smile adorned her beautiful lips. He pulled her toward him, careful not to wake her, and memorized her scent.

"Are you sniffing me?" She asked groggily and he laughed softly.

"I'm memorizing everything about you." He stroked her hair and she hummed, tracing her fingers over his chest.

"I'm doing the same." Amelia opened her eyes lazily then placed a hand on his cheek, lightly stroking his cheek with her thumb. "We should probably get up before Jaskier barges in here and this burns into his memory again."

Geralt didn't reply but kissed her deeply and fully on the mouth. Just as he managed to roll on top of her, the door creaked open.

"Hey, guys?" Jaskier's voice called from a distance. "You're not having sex anymore, are you? I don't want my eyeballs burned out of my head for the second time."

Geralt groaned onto Amelia's collarbone and she laughed heartily. "We'll be out in a minute, Jask!"

"Righto," he responded and the door quickly shut. Geralt looked down at Amelia and his eyes traveled to the Traven family crest that was burned onto Amelia's chest.

He leaned down and placed a kiss on the scarred skin. "Fuck."

"That cursed family, huh?" She joked, but her eyes looked glassy again.

He shushed her and kissed her cheeks. "Let's get you something to eat."

She laughed as tears leaked out from the corners of her eyes. "You always know what to say, witcher."

♘ ♘ ♘

Breakfast with Jaskier included the freshest of loaves of bread, sweet cakes, and pastries. He somehow managed to snag some fruit and wine.

Geralt and Amelia walked out hand in hand to see the buffet that Jaskier had managed to set up in the form of a picnic by a stream. Amelia laughed in delight and clapped her hands, making a smile crawl onto Geralt's lips.

"Jaskier, how did you do this?" She asked, astonished. Jaskier grinned proudly and placed his hands on his hips.

"Well, as it turns out, I can run faster than most merchants." He boasted and Amelia laughed loudly and even Geralt let out a chuckle. Jaskier gasped. "Geralt, did I just make you laugh?"

"Fuck off, bard." Geralt clapped his shoulder in a silent thanks, but just hard enough that Jaskier's knees almost buckled under the force.

Geralt watched as the two seemed to exchange words in their heads, then wrapped each other in a tight hug.

"Oh, I will write many ballads about this very moment." The bard sighed, trying to keep the mood light, but Geralt could also see the glassy look in his eyes. "That is if you'll let me write about you now."

"Of course you can." Amelia laughed, tearfully. "I'll live forever through song!"

"Hey, hey, hey." Jaskier held her at arm's length. "Wipe those tears, warrior princess. There will none of that at this breakfast!"

Amelia laughed softly and wiped at her eyes. "You've been the best friend I've ever had, Jask."

"And you were mine, Amelia." Jaskier cleared his throat and gestured to the picnic that he set out in front of them. "Now, shall we eat?"

The trio sat down, Amelia leaning on Geralt and Jaskier sitting across them on the blanket. Amelia passed out slices of bread, which were slathered in jam and butter. Geralt noticed she ate and drank without passing it to Geralt first.

It made his heart sink.

The three laughed and recounted their adventures together over the past four months they had been together for.

"God, do you remember that--that--godforsaken-- town where all the fat people were being devoured?" Jaskier asked, making Amelia howl in laughter, leaning against Geralt's chest.

Even Geralt chuckled, his eyes dropping to the ground. "They thought it was Alghouls."

"'The Alghouls!' They all yelled. 'the Alghouls are gettin' em!'," Amelia mocked, still wheezing with laughter.

"It was just a bear with a taste for fat fucks." Geralt shook his head as he remembered.

"Which, to be fair, was actually scarier to see than Alghouls," Jaskier commented, shivering at the thought.

Amelia clapped Jaskier's shoulder while laughing. "Geralt, do you remember this little shit's face when the bear came out?"

Geralt smiled as he remembered the bard's high-pitched scream and his face as he ran and hid behind Amelia in terror.

"You used me as a human shield!" Amelia thrust a finger in the bard's direction.

"Well, I never." Jaskier placed a hand on his chest in shock. "I only remember my brave exploits as I ran my arse out of the line of fire."

"Brave exploits, my ass, bard." Amelia rolled her eyes and Geralt pressed a kiss to her cheek. "Jask, do you happen to have a knife on you?"

The bard eyed her cautiously. "Why?"

Geralt handed her a dagger from his boot and she smiled gratefully at him and kissed the back of his hand.

"Traven has somewhat of a custom, for those you love who are..." Her blue eyes shot to Geralt's for a moment. "It bonds the people together."

"This sounds absurd," Geralt started, but Jaskier shot him a glare and he kept his mouth shut. That was the first time Jaskier had ever glared at him seriously.

"I know it does, but there's different ones for different bonds. Just humor me, Geralt?" She flashed those perfect doe-eyes and Geralt sighed while nodding.

"Jask, hold out your palm." She reached toward her friend and he eyed the dagger in her other hand.

"You're planning on slicing me beautiful hand open, aren't you?"

"Jaskier, quit being a bitch." Geralt arched a brow and with a huff, the bard did what he was told. 

Amelia cut a thin line into her own palm, then cut Jaskier's, who squirmed. "Jask, we're going to say this together: true friends never part, maybe in distance, but never in heart. Ready?"

Amelia clasped their bloodied hands together and the two friends said in unison: "True friends never part, maybe in distance, but never in heart." 

There was a burst of energy, which rushed over the trio like a burst of wind coming from the two conjoined hands.

"What the fuck?" Geralt looked at Amelia. "What the fuck did you just do?"

Amelia smiled. "Jaskier and I are bonded together by blood."

"Now that," Jaskier pulled his hand away to reveal it was completely healed. "Is terrifying." Geralt took Amelia's hand in his and inspected her palm, which now had no cut. "And extremely exciting, I'll use that line in my next song."

"Geralt, the tradition in my land is that when you lose a beloved, you cut off a piece of their hair and weave it into yours." Her blue eyes wandered his face. "I don't know if you want to do that--"

"I want it." He stated.

"It's a sign to others that means you'll never love again, Geralt." Amelia tilted her head at him, sympathetic eyes. "It's the only beloved tradition we have besides marriage and--"

"Amelia," Geralt took her hands in his. "I want it."

Amelia cut off a lock of her hair, a look in her eyes Geralt will never forget.