chapter four

"Don't ever tell anyone anything. If you do, you start missing everybody."

-J.D. Salinger

ANNOYANCE CROSSED GERALT'S HANDSOME FEATURES AS THE WORDS LEFT HER MOUTH. She was a princess, of course. He should've known because of her beauty and the way the town acted around her. He cursed himself in his head as they walked into the royal dining hall.

"I thought you said you didn't want anything from me, Your Majesty." The coldness in Geralt's move made her heart sink.

"Witcher, do you know of the Traven curse?" Her father asked as she placed a small copper figure of a wolf in front of his dinner plate. He patted her cheek in thanks as she moved on giving more gifts.

"I am aware that the famine is coming up in a few years, Your Majesty." Geralt avoided Amelia's gaze as she sat at the table. "I know that the scrolls need to return to Oxenfurt or next famine your kingdom will not make it."

"Watch how you speak, witcher," Erik seethed and Amelia scoffed loudly. 

"Enjoy your cow testicles and shut up, Erik," she snapped and a tiny smirk adored Geralt's lips. "Geralt of Rivia is my guest." Her eyes turned to him, pleading. "Please sit, Geralt."

Wordlessly, he sat next to her, tearing his gaze away from Amelia's face. She blushed slightly and looked back at her family. Geralt's gaze felt like a physical touch on her face.

"Is it true that you've killed a kikimora with just your bare hands?" Nathaniel asked earnestly, making Amelia laugh and clap her brother's shoulder.

"Unless you count a sword as a hand, no." Geralt grumbled as food was placed in front of them by the servants. Amelia greeted all of them by name, which Geralt raised an eyebrow at.

"What's your price, Geralt of Rivia?" The king asked and Geralt looked up from the feast in front of him. "To take the princess to Oxenfurt safely?"

"I kill monsters, Your Majesty." Geralt shook his head. "I don't babysit. Not willingly."

"Well, she can work for you on the trip. She will not take any of your earnings, but you can use her as a tool." The king bargained and Amelia bit back a smile.

"I don't endorse slave work," He stated simply.

"State your price." The king pressed and Geralt shook his head.

"I'm afraid that I have business in Cintra I must tend to." Geralt cast a glance in Amelia's direction then went back to the king. 

The king nodded thoughtfully. "Well then, stay for the festival tomorrow. It's a Traven luxury."

Geralt nodded reluctantly. He knew better than to keep saying no to whatever the king said.

Amelia stood from her chair and nodded to her family. "I am not feeling well, so I will be headed to bed now." She looked at Geralt and gave him a gentle smile. "One of my maids can show you to your quarters so you can rest for the market tomorrow."

Before anyone could say anything, she disappeared from the dining hall and ran toward the royal garden. Amelia scraped her knees on the cold ground in front of the Great Old Tree and her head hung in shame.

"I'm going to do this, Mother, I promise," she whispered, tracing her fingers against the bark of the Great Old Tree's trunk. "Our people will not suffer any longer."

She felt another presence in the garden and she turned her head to see Geralt standing a few feet away from her, staring. Amelia wiped at her eyes hastily and hid her tears from the witcher. No one had seen her cry since her mother died when she was still a child.

"I know what you're thinking about doing, but it's suicide." Geralt's deep voice soothed her slightly, but a bitter laugh escaped her lips. "You know you can't go alone."

"I know it is. That's why I talked myself out of it." She spoke softly and looked up at the Great Old Tree's majestic leaves and thick branches. The moonlight shone in Amelia's eyes, calming her further.

After a few moments of silence, Geralt knelt next to her. "I told you I wasn't good company, Your Majesty."

"Don't call me that, Geralt, please." Amelia nearly whispered. "I don't deserve such a title after not being able to save my people."

"Amelia..." Geralt's voice rumbled deep in his chest and she nearly shivered at the sound of her own name.

"It's alright, Geralt. No need to worry about me" Amelia wiped at her face and straightened her back. "Go back and have your dinner, it's the least I can do after all the trouble I've put you through."

There was a pause, but eventually, Geralt's footsteps retreated. 

"For the record, you make excellent company." She called over her shoulder, a small smile on her lips.

"Hm."

♘ ♘ ♘

Her things were packed in a knapsack with as much money as she could possibly take without getting robbed. Amelia wore commoner's clothing and intentionally dirtied her face so she wouldn't stand out or be a target in the outside world.

The scrolls were tucked away at the bottom of her bag. Safe and secure.

She crept into Nathaniel's room and gently kissed his forehead as he slept.

"You're going to do great, brother." She whispered and he stirred slightly.

"Amelia?" He asked, groggily and she shushed him, smoothing out his hair.

"Hush, little brother. Go back to sleep." His eyes fluttered back shut and he hummed. "You've always been my favorite, Nathaniel. You have such a kind heart, I know you will thrive."

"Why are you saying this?" He asked and she just smiled.

"Is it a crime to love my brother so dearly?"

He just grunted and rolled over in his sleep. "You're peculiar, sister." Amelia smiled at his words and crept out of his room, quietly shutting the door.

As she stepped into the hallway, she came face to face with Joseph.

"Were you going to say goodbye?" He asked after a moment.

"I thought you might try to stop me." She confessed, looking down at the ground. "The witcher tried already, but you know I can fool most people."

"You can't fool me, Amelia." Joseph's voice was soft as he looked at his sister. "I won't stop you. I know what you're doing is right."

"You mean that?" She asked, her blue eyes peering into her brother's.

"I believe that you and that witcher was entwined by destiny. You'll come back home."

"He has business in Cintra--"

"He's the only man you've ever looked at with interest." He cut her off and placed his hands on her shoulders. "I think that's for a reason."

Amelia grabbed her brother and pulled him in for a tight hug. "Until we meet again, brother."

"Until we meet again." They released each other and Joseph smiled. "Try to not have any witcher babies on the way." Amelia fought the tears in her eyes again as she punched her brother playfully on the arm.

Amelia smiled as she took off into the night.