chapter twenty-four

warning: it's smut time, haha. (it's light stuff at the end)

Falling in love can be an event. A proclamation without acknowledging that everyone you love could die an awful death. That loving someone is the acceptance of impending loss."

-Julianna Baggott

THERE WAS AN INN JUST OUTSIDE OF OXENFURT THAT GERALT TOOK AMELIA TO. Geralt prepared a bath as Amelia sat on the large bed. He had gotten a separate room for Jaskier, per his request.

Amelia just watched him work, trying to memorize every single thing about him so she could have something pleasant to dream about when she returned the scrolls.

"Thank you for coming for me," Amelia said for what felt like the thousandth time.

"Amelia," Geralt's deep voice rumbled. "You don't have to keep thanking me. Or apologizing."

"I just thought I could do it on my own." Amelia scraped dried blood out from under her nails. "I didn't fight right and I used all my energy with the first round of dirtbags."

Geralt knelt in front of Amelia and tilted her chin up with his fingers. "Stop." She closed her eyes and sighed, leaning her forehead on Geralt's. His hands cupped her face and she felt herself relax under his touch.

"Your bath is ready, princess." Geralt's voice was soft and his fingers hesitantly stripped her clothing. He guided her to the bath and she slowly sunk in, her aching muscles screaming with exhaustion. 

Amelia's back to turned to Geralt as she spoke. "Join me?" There was a moment of silence and Amelia turned her head slightly. "Please, Geralt."

She heard his clothes drop to the ground and then he stepped into the water. He didn't say a word, but Amelia felt his hands on her back, massaging her taut muscles. Geralt pulled her to him, wrapping his arms around her torso.

Amelia sighed deeply and leaned back into Geralt's chest. Geralt washed her arms and hands, massaging her as he did so. He pressed his lips to her shoulder and she shivered. 

"Your heart is what makes me care about you so much." He murmured and curled his arms around her more. "You're a caring woman, your people are lucky to have you."

"I never wanted to hurt you."

"I know you didn't, I'm the idiot." Geralt turned her so they were face to face. "You are saving your people, who am I to take that away from you?" His hands went to the side of Amelia's face and he sighed, resting his forehead against hers.

Amelia's eyes fluttered shut as Geralt's lips grazed hers. Her fingers threaded into his hair and pulled him as close as she possibly could, planting her mouth firmly on his.

Geralt smiled fondly and traced her bottom lip with his thumb. "You need to rest."

"I need you," Amelia shut her eyes tightly, trying not to let any tears fall from her eyes. "I don't want to say goodbye."

"Then don't." He replied simply. "Just let me care about you." Amelia's arms went around his neck and he pulled her into his lap, gently washing the blood off her face and hair.

"The bath smells like lavender," Amelia commented, her eyes closing as Geralt massaged her scalp.

"I thought you might like that," his head dipped down so he could kiss her throat softly. Amelia tilted her head back and granted him more access to her skin. Slowly and gently they moved from bath to the bed.

Geralt's movements were head-spinningly slow as he planted open-mouthed kisses all along her body until he made it to her inner thighs. His eyes never left hers as he slowly worked to unravel her, cherishing every inch of her skin.

He only stopped when he felt her body convulse with pleasure for the second time. He made a trail of heated kisses up her body again, landing lastly on her mouth. 

"Fuck, Geralt," Amelia whispered against his skin breathlessly, lightly kissing the scars on his shoulders.

"That's what I intend to do, princess." He kissed her as Amelia's hands traced over every square inch of Geralt's body, earning moans and groans from the mighty witcher.

He turned to putty at her touch.

Their bodies molded together and Amelia gasped loudly, tugging slightly at Geralt's hair and her other hand gripping the sheets beside her. Geralt's hand slid across her arm and interlocked their fingers together as he found the right pace for both of them.

He whispered her name over and over like a chant between peppered kisses. Her back arched, pressing her body into his as she yelled his name along with a string of curses before both of them peaked.

Geralt rolled off of Amelia, but their hands were still interlocked. Sweat coated each of them and they smelled heavily of sex, chests heaving for breath.

Amelia let out a breathy laugh, lolling her head to the side to look at Geralt. "I suppose we should take that bath again."

Geralt smiled at her, his eyes drooping. "Tomorrow." Amelia rolled over so she practically was draped over Geralt, their legs tangled together. He reached over and grabbed something from his pack with one hand.

He produced his witcher medallion. "I believe this belongs to you."

She smiled as he placed it over her head, then nestled back into his chest. "Goodnight, Geralt."

She felt him press a kiss on the crown of her head. "Goodnight, Amelia."