chapter fifteen

"You were born with the ability to change someone's life. Don't ever waste it."

-Dale Partridge

"GERALT, I FEEL RIDICULOUS." Amelia tried smoothing her dress, but she still felt strange not wearing pants for the first time since she was a little girl. The dress was a long sleeve, black velvet fitted dress that was off her shoulders.

She wore her hair down and curled, which Jaskier helped with, and Geralt's medallion hung from her neck still.

"I'm sure you look fine." Geralt said, his back still turned so she could change. "Better than me, probably."

"Well, you can turn around." Amelia wrung her hands as Geralt turned around. A slow smile spread across his face and she felt herself blush. "Don't laugh, I know I look ridiculous."

"Amelia, you look beautiful." Geralt's voice was soft as his eyes wandered over her. He took a step toward her and held the medallion between his fingers. "This definitely looks better on you, princess."

"Under any other circumstance, I would have to disagree." An amused smirk adorned her lips. "But Geralt, you look like a depressed merchant." He chuckled, his eyes falling to the ground. Amelia reached up and lightly touched his hair, which was neatly done.

"Jaskier helped." He explained and she smiled.

"Me too." Amelia touched where her family crest was burned into her skin, which was secure just under the collar of her dress. "Do you think anyone will see?"

"Not unless they're watching carefully." He sighed. "We can't let anyone know why we're traveling together. They might want the scrolls for themselves."

"I know. We'll figure something out."

"Alright, lovebirds, we have a party to attend!" Jaskier barged in and then smiled at his two friends.

"Fuck off, bard." They said in unison.

♘ ♘ ♘

The three walked into a royal banquet that was filled with people mingling. The Cintran palace reminded Amelia of home and she smiled faintly.

Geralt offered his arm to Amelia, which she gratefully took, but raised a suspicious eyebrow. Geralt only shrugged, drawing her in closer to his side. "You were nervous."

"Right, so stick close to me, look mean and pretend you're a mute. Can't have anyone finding out who you actually are." Jaskier glanced at Amelia. "You just keep looking beautiful so the ladies will be jealous."

"Geralt of Rivia, the mighty Witcher!" A voice boomed across the banquet hall, which Jaskier flinched at.

"Oh, shit," Jaskier muttered, making Amelia snort.

The man approached the trio and Amelia felt her hand tighten around Geralt's bicep slightly. Without looking down at her, he covered her hand with his and squeezed lightly, the dropped his hand back to his side.

It was a small gesture of reassurance that Amelia didn't expect from Geralt in such a crowded place.

"I haven't seen you since the plague!" The man exclaimed and Geralt smirked.

"Good times, Mousesack."

"I've missed your sour complexion. I feared this would be a dull affair, but now the White Wolf is here, perhaps all is not lost." Mousesack finally drew his eyes toward Amelia. "I didn't know the witcher was courting such a lovely creature."

"Yes, this is my fiancée." Geralt said while placing a hand on the small of Amelia's back. Amelia tried not to let her eyes widen in surprise at his words. "Amelia of Traven, this is Mousesack."