chapter eight

"You, my dear, are already my favorite thing to fight for. Did you know that?"

-Samantha Thomas

AMELIA WOKE BEFORE GERALT. It was a beautiful sight to see, really. He wore no shirt, which was glorious, his hair was slightly messy and undone. He truly was a sight to see.

She just watched him for a while, admiring his beauty. Everyone she asked about the witcher always told his brutal tales, but never how he looked. Of course, she knew about the white hair and the eyes.

She just didn't expect him to be this handsome.

Amelia loved it when he smiled, though it was always small and you always had to look for it. It was the sun shining through the clouds, just to get swallowed up again.

"Do I have something on my face?" Geralt rumbled, his voice thick from sleep and his eyes still closed. Amelia felt herself blush red, not realizing Geralt was awake.

"How long have you been awake?"

"How long have you been watching me sleep?" Geralt's voice was light and airy, which was something she had never heard before. Amelia laughed before flopping back down on the sofa. "We need to get you a new cloak today."

"I'll be fine without one. I can just use one of the fur blankets here and whip up a makeshift cloak." Amelia sat up and Geralt opened his eyes, which she had forgotten how piercing they were.

"Amelia."

"You can't stop me," she said, grabbing a sewing kit and a knife from her pack. "I know it's my fault I gave my cloak to those kids, but they needed more than me. I've also done this quite a few times."

"Amelia."

"I also can make a thick jacket out of these blankets, that would be better--"

"Amelia." Geralt was stood over her now, sword drawn and looking at the door. She slowly turned to see three men stood in the doorway, looking very threatening.

Geralt grabbed her and made her stand behind him, his large frame shielding her from the men's view. She grabbed her bow and arrow and aimed it at the men. Geralt glanced down at her.

"You couldn't have grabbed pants?" He muttered and Amelia shot him a glare. "We don't want trouble, but if you attack, I will have no choice but to kill you."

"You would also be attacking Princess Amelia of Traven," Amelia showed off her branding that had been burned into her flesh as a young girl. "And Traven is not a kingdom you want to start a war with."

"That's the thing, princess." One of the men had a thick accent that it took Amelia a few moments to understand. "We were sent by Prince Erik to kill you and retrieve the scrolls."

"Of-fucking-course you were," Geralt growled, his eyes darkening with murderous intent. 

Without a second thought, Amelia sent arrows into two of the men's eye sockets, making them drop to the ground. The third--and most large man-- charged at Geralt, slashing at him with his sword, which Geralt easily dodged.

Geralt sunk his swords into the man's leg and Amelia sent an arrow through this skull before he could scream. Geralt retrieved Amelia's arrows as she put on pants, careful to step around the blood.

"Nice shot." Geralt cleaned the blood off of her arrows and then placed them in her quiver. Amelia dressed quickly and then ripped the expensive cloak off of one of the men.

"Looks like we needn't go shopping after all." Amelia's voice was dark and rage shook her hands. Geralt cast a look at her but remained silent. They packed their things to leave, Amelia felt her anger bubble in her chest.

It was one thing to try to kill her, but Geralt? Her people?

"We should head to Posada next." Geralt commented and Amelia only nodded.

♘ ♘ ♘

Most of the trip was silent, there were a few stories that Amelia told if Geralt asked, but she remained boiling in her own emotions. 

Geralt suddenly pulled off the path and slid off of Roach. He didn't say anything but offered his hand to help her down. Amelia slipped her hand in his and climbed off of Roach and let Geralt steer her to the trees.

"Geralt--?" He handed her her own sword, then brought out his own. "What am I supposed to be doing?"

"We're going to spar." He stated as if it was obvious while stripping down to only a black tunic and black leather pants.

"I don't need to--" he lunged at her and she deflected, the countered the blow. The sound of metal crashing together calmed her nerves as they went into basic training drills. It was the muscle memory of it that helped.

It was swordplay 101, something she was good at. Something she could control.

Amelia couldn't go back to Traven and strangle Erik, but she could spar with Geralt. Steadily, she pushed herself harder and harder, exhausting her energy. It seemed like Geralt recognized this and halted their training.

"Better?" Geralt sheathed his sword at his hip, a gleam in his amber eyes.

They both had broken a sweat, chests heaving and their eyes locked. Amelia nodded. "Better." The duo returned to Roach and re-dressed to be seen properly in public.

"Posada is just a mile away." Geralt placed his armor over his chest. "We can stop at a tavern and drink."

"Geralt," Amelia placed a hand lightly on Geralt's forearm. "Thank you for getting me out of my own head."

"My pleasure, princess."