chapter five

"It's really good to hear your voice, saying my name it sounds so sweet."

-Lips of an Angel, Hinder

GERALT WAS WOKEN IN A RATHER RUDE MANNER. Being shaken awake by the youngest prince, who appeared to be crying was not a way Geralt liked to be woken.

"She's gone."

Geralt blinked a few times while sitting up slightly. He processed the words the prince had said and grunted in dismay.

"Amelia." He growled out. That stupid girl, running out to save her people.

"She said goodbye to me and I didn't really know what was happening. She must've left an hour ago after everything clicked in my head." Geralt placed his head in his hands, then hauled himself to his feet.

The prince also got to his feet. "Please, witcher, I beg you. We can send a message to Cintra and tell them about what--"

"No need." Geralt pulled on his tunic and the rest of his clothing. "I'll go after her. I'll just need coin and I'll be on my way."

The door to his room opened again and Joseph walked into Geralt's chambers. He had a large pouch of coins that he tossed at Geralt, who caught it with ease.

"You knew she would leave with or without me." Geralt shook his head, shoving the pouch into his knapsack. 

"What's the point for being next in line for the throne if in three years' time there will be no kingdom to rule?" Geralt shook his head while gathering his belongings. 

"And you knew I would go after her." Geralt felt annoyance build in his chest as he realized how planned out everything had been.

"She's an hour out and probably took her prize horse." Geralt looked at the youngest prince, which he could tell that Amelia cared for the most.

"I'll bring her back." He stated simply. He knew he shouldn't. He knew that all this trouble wasn't worth it especially since the trip would take a very long time. Many months, most likely.

"Thank you, witcher."

♘ ♘ ♘

Geralt had a war going on in his head as he picked up on Amelia's trail. Roach galloped gracefully on the back paths of Traven. Nathaniel gave Geralt a map and explained the paths that Amelia would most likely go on.

Amelia, that stupid girl.

He couldn't believe what he was doing for her.

He hunted monsters to survive, not being a hero. But there was just something about Amelia that was just so...alluring. She was infectious. Compelling.

Maybe it was her eyes. Geralt had heard a myth that Travener's eyes could make any man drop to his knees. But the myth said it was because they were so ferocious, and Geralt wasn't scared of her.

He remembered her laugh, ringing in his ears. It was a delightful sound, even Geralt knew that. Something snapped Geralt out of his thoughts and made him yank on Roach's reigns to halt her. It was a scream.

No, not a scream, a battle cry.

They were well outside Traven at this point, luckily Amelia was easy to track. Geralt had a feeling that she meant to leave an easy trail. He quickly tied Roach to a tree and followed the sound of rough fighting into the forest and off the trail.

He knew better to call her name into the trees, but he wanted to desperately. He heard the battle cry again followed to what sounded like stabbing sounds. Geralt followed the sound to see Amelia sitting on the ground, five men's bodies scattered around her.

"Amelia." She looked up at him, arms covered in blood and cloak discarded. There was one cut in her arm that looked worse than the others. "Fuck."

"Maybe later," She jested, leaning back on a tree trunk. Wordlessly she started to tend to her own wound with one hand. He sighed heavily and knelt beside her, gently taking her hand away and fixing the lopsided bandages.

"You lied to me." Geralt's eyes never left the wound he was tending to. She lifted a shoulder. "You could've been killed."

"It's inevitable." Amelia's eyes wandered Geralt's features, a small smile on her face. "How did you find me? I thought I would've had at least a day before anyone found I was missing."

"You underestimated the youngest." Geralt very gently laid a healing remedy on her smaller cuts on her arms and defensive wounds. "He's quicker than you anticipated."

"It's good to hear your voice, Geralt." The sound of his name coming off her lips stirred something in his chest. Amelia's piercing blue eyes didn't have their usual sharp focus, which slightly concerned Geralt.

"How are you feeling?" He asked and she just shook her head slightly.

"Like I have to get back on the road again." Amelia staggered to her feet and with her good arm started to pat down the men she had just slain. Geralt just watched as she took their coin and a thick cloak from one man and then discarded her own ripped one.

"I can't stop you, can I?" Amelia turned at the sound of Geralt's voice. She shot him a smile that he had to fight not to return.

"I would very much enjoy your company, Geralt of Rivia."

"I was paid, so I suppose I don't have much of a choice." He grunted out as Amelia looked around them. "Don't tell me you've lost your horse."

"Well then," Amelia pinched her mouth to the side and placed her hands on her hips."I haven't lost my horse."

"I thought you were a good liar." Geralt's voice had a pinch of amusement in it, which made Amelia grin.

"I only did what you asked."

Geralt scoffed. "As if that's stopped you before." He went to her side and took her bags, hauling them over his shoulder.

"What a gentleman you are," Amelia teased while they walked back to where Roach was. He just grunted as he attached the bags to Roach's side. He mounted Roach, the offered his gloved hand to Amelia.

She took it and he pulled her up so she sat in front of him.

"Thank you, Geralt." Her voice was sickly sweet and soft as velvet. "You didn't have to take the job."

Geralt sure as hell wasn't going to tell her he came on his own will. He just nodded in acknowledgment. "You should rest for a while. It's very early still."

"I'll rest when you do, witcher. You can't get rid of me that easily." Geralt snorted in amusement, continuing on.

"Your eyes are closing, princess." He mumbled softly, watching her closely. She just hummed while leaning her head back so it could rest where his shoulder met his neck.