chapter twenty

"One person caring about another represents life's greatest value."

-Jim Rohn

AMELIA WAS STILL IN GERALT'S ARMS WHEN HE WOKE UP. The corner of his mouth turned up as he brushed her hair out of her sleeping face. Geralt thought about last night, how different sex with Amelia felt than with anyone else.

Was that what love-making felt like? He wouldn't know, he's never felt love before. But he enjoyed it much more.

His fingers gently traced over the curve of her neck and shoulder, he just admired her beauty. Her eyes fluttered and her body stirred and curled deeper into his side.

"Good morning, princess." His eyes met her blue ones. She smiled and wordlessly stretched her arms over Geralt's chest while humming.

"I thought last night was a dream." she murmured, her eyes slowly closing. Geralt smirked.

"Does that mean you had dreams like last night before?" Geralt ran his fingers through Amelia's locks, a chuckle rumbling his chest.

"Of course I have," Amelia looked up at him, a blanket secure around her body and chest. "And you haven't?"

"Hm." Geralt chuckled and looked at the ceiling. Silence fell between them for a few moments. "Do you regret it?"

Amelia propped herself up on her arm and looked down at Geralt. "What?"

Geralt finally met her eyes and his face stoic. "Do you regret having sex with me?"

"Fuck no, Geralt." She shook her head, disbelief in her voice. "When I said I wanted you, I didn't mean just physically or just for that night. I want you."

He felt shocked. "Amelia--"

"And I know, you don't want people to want or need you, but dammit, Geralt." She reached out and cupped his cheek delicately. "You make it so hard not to need you."

"I don't deserve you. There's someone better for you than me." He warned, his voice faint.

"Save your breath, Geralt." Amelia shook her head while sliding on top of Geralt, straddling him and pressing their bare chests together. "Before you, I've never looked at another man. Now you're all I can think about."

He kissed her passionately, his hands wandering over the smooth skin of Amelia's body, ravishing in her. Her kisses trailed from his mouth, to his throat, to down his chest. Kissing, sucking and barely nipping until she got to his hip.

Suddenly, the door flung open and Amelia heard a scream that she was certain was Jaskier's.

"Heaven Lord above, cleanse my eyes!" Jaskier screeched at the top of his lungs. Geralt pulled Amelia to his side and made sure the blanket was secure around her body. "Sweet Lord, bloody Christ, and the heavenly ghost!"

Jaskier had slapped his hands over his eyes, standing in the middle of the inn.

"Jaskier. Get. Out." Geralt used his scary witcher voice that usually sent Jaskier running for the hills, but he was too busy screaming to hear Geralt.

"Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name! Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven! Give us this day our daily bread--" Jaskier chanted and Amelia was howling with laughter.

"Jaskier, out!" Geralt raised his voice and the bard booked it out of the room.

Amelia was still in fits of laughter and Geralt looked down at her, adoringly. He leaned down, his hands on either side of her head, and pressed his lips onto hers.

"I want you as well, Amelia." His voice was low but still soft. "I care about you."

She beamed up at him. "That's all I could ask for."

♘ ♘ ♘

Once Jaskier got over his initial shock, he was ecstatic for his friends. In fact, he wouldn't shut up about it as they traveled. Geralt pressed kisses to Amelia's hand when Jaskier was too busy rambling about romance ballads he would base off of the two; but other than that, everything stayed the same.

"Love in the darkness/ The witcher was thought to be heartless/ Yet the warrior princess of Traven melted a heart of steel and tamed a terrible beasttttt..."

"For fuck's sake, Jaskier." Geralt snapped and Amelia laughed heartily as the trio trekked toward another town on their way to Oxenfurt.

"Tell me, my dear princess, what happens exactly when you deliver these ancient scrolls to the dead girl's grave?" Jaskier asked and Amelia's heart stopped when her reality came crashing down on her.

"Well," she cleared her throat and Jaskier looked at her, immediately knowing something was wrong. "The curse is lifted from my land and my people never go into another famine. They will thrive."

"Anything else?" Jaskier asked, a knowing gleam in his eyes.

"No, that's all I know," Amelia said, but she knew that Jaskier knew something was off with her.

"Remind me, why did it take so long for someone to bring these scrolls to Oxenfurt?" The bard asked.

"Well, the witch that cast the curse upon my land, her daughter was killed wrongly by the warriors of Traven. So she said that only the next woman that was born from the Traven name should be able to take back the scrolls that they had been fighting for." Amelia explained. "And there wasn't a girl before me."

"So this is your destiny?"

Amelia nodded. "This is what I was born for."

"So, in a way, Geralt is your destiny." Jaskier grinned and Amelia chuckled.

"Lay off, bard." Geralt growled.

"Alright, alright." Jaskier went back to strumming his lute, grumbling to himself and falling behind Amelia and Geralt.

Geralt leaned down and kissed Amelia softly. She looked up at him, slightly surprised at the affection in front of Jaskier, but smiling.

"You seemed nervous," Geralt shrugged. "You've been upset about your people ever since the banquet. I've noticed."

"You know me too well, witcher." Amelia gazed up at the handsome witcher beside her. "The reality if everything is kind of crashing down on me."

"You mean that you're a princess and I'm a witcher?" Geralt asked softly and Amelia grabbed his hand.

"No. No matter what, Geralt, my place is by you. You don't need to worry about titles." She said firmly. "Remember, we always find a way out. Together."

Geralt looked at her for a moment. "Together." He confirmed.