chapter seven

"Maybe it's not the length of time you've known someone; maybe it's the instant recognition on an unconscious level. Our souls know each other."

-S.E. Hall

GERALT WAS EXTREMELY CONFUSED. 

He was confused about what he was feeling toward Amelia. What he was really confused about was that he reassured her by taking small bites of her food and sipping on her ale to make sure nothing was poisoned.

He comforted her to an extent.

Geralt had never comforted anyone before, yet with Amelia, it came so naturally to him. He had never let a woman sleep on him that he had been with before. When Amelia fell asleep, he adjusted his shoulder so she would be more comfortable.

She always said that Geralt was good company, but she was growing on him more than he cared to admit. Before Amelia, Geralt hadn't spoken so much in months.

He actually wanted to respond to her, not like anyone else he had met. She was funny, which was something Geralt had never found someone before. There was a certain glint she would get in her eye when she was joking that just made whatever she had said funnier.

Geralt offered his gloved hand to Amelia so he could help Amelia climb on Roach. She settled in front of him and then they left town. There was blissful silence between then and Amelia stroked Roach's mane subconsciously. 

"Comfortable, princess?" He asked softly in her ear and he felt her shiver slightly against him. 

"It's not every day I get to lean into the chest of a painfully handsome witcher," she said pleasantly and Geralt felt a smile tug on his face. "And it's your lucky day, witcher, because I bet you have never traveled with a princess before."

 "You would be wrong, princess."

Her jaw dropped and she turned her head so she could look at Geralt's face. "What other princesses have you traveled with, Geralt?" 

Her voice was so appalled Geralt couldn't help but smirk smugly.

"You can't just not answer me," she said, deadpanned and he looked straight ahead to the path. "Stop Roach."

"Amelia--" At first he thought she was actually mad at him, but then he saw where her gaze was locked on two dirty looking children. It was obvious that they were siblings, one boy, and one girl. It looked as if they lived in a makeshift hut made of mud and brick.

"I'm giving them my coin." She was determined and if she was determined, there was nothing he could do to stop her. "I know we'll have to pick up jobs to keep afloat--"

"Amelia," he interrupted her while looking into her eyes. "Go." 

With Geralt's blessing, her face lit up and he helped her off of Roach. He watched as she slowly approached the children and knelt so they were eye-level.

They exchanged a few words and he heard the children's slight giggles, then Amelia handed them her pouch of coin. 

It's probably the most money they've seen at once, Geralt thought. She even took the cloak off her back that she took from the man she killed and covered the children with it. They waved to her as she came back to Geralt.

Geralt automatically offered his hand and she slipped her hand in his. They were silent as they continued on their travels.

"I wish I could help them more," she whispered, it was probably mostly to herself but Geralt heard it. He draped his cloak on her shoulders, thinking she must be cold.

"You're much more tolerable." Geralt all but blurted out and she turned to him, her eyebrows scrunched together. "Than the other princesses that I've traveled with." A slow smile spread on her features.

"Were they as bloodthirsty as I?" She asked.

Geralt snorted. "Not even close."

"Then that's all I care for." Her voice was filled with amusement and mock-poshness that made Geralt smirk.

♘ ♘ ♘

"Geralt," her soft voice snapped Geralt out of his thoughts. "This is the town we had said we would stop at." He hummed in acknowledgment and climbed off of Roach so he could guide her through the crowd.

Amelia wore Geralt's cloak that he usually wore to hide his eyes and hair in large crowds. Eyes were on him as they moved through the village. He felt her cloak drape over his shoulders and his hood fell over his head.

Geralt looked up at Amelia, who was still on Roach's back. She lifted a shoulder. "You were nervous." Geralt found an inn and paid for a room.

One room a night is all they could afford at the moment. He tied up Roach in the stable then returned to his room, where Amelia had prepared a bed on the couch and flopped down on it.

"You can have the bed," he offered, but she shook her head.

"You're a big man, you wouldn't get a wink of sleep on this tiny sofa." She was undressed to a moderate level. Amelia dressed like a man, so now she just wore a large shirt that looked like a very skimpy dress.

Geralt cleared his throat and turned away as she climbed into her makeshift bed. Geralt slowly undressed as well until he was left in his sleep pants and nothing else. He thought he felt Amelia's eyes on him, but when he looked, she was reading a book from her pack.

He climbed into his own bed, which felt strangely large without anyone in it.

Geralt propped up his head on his hand as he laid down, watching Amelia's enchanting blue eyes drift across the page.

She looked more beautiful in the firelight, Geralt realized.

"Do I have something on my face, Geralt?" He almost jumped at her voice when it broke the silence, almost like she read his thoughts.

"What are you reading?" Her eyes left the page and he felt the jolt of her gaze on him. She mimicked his laying position, her chin propped in her hand, gazing over at him.

"Quest For a Maid." She traced the cover of the book lightly with her fingertips. For a moment, Geralt imagined what those light fingers would feel like on his chest. "Do you want me to explain it to you or do you want a summary."

"Summary."

A smile broke out on her face. "Yeah, I thought so."

She cleared her throat and sat up, her shirt falling off her shoulder slightly. It was the first time he had seen her fawn-colored hair loose, falling past her shoulders. 

"Aware of her older sister's powers of sorcery," she started dramatically, causing a half-smile to adorn Geralt's lips. "These powers, which have been used to help secure the Scottish throne for Robert de Brus, are unimaginable and loaded with power."

"There was no Robert de Brus for the Scottish throne," Geralt protested and she held up a hand to silence him, which he held up his hands in defense as she continued.

"Meg realizes she must try to protect the young Norwegian princess who has been chosen as the rightful heir." She shrugged and fell back on the sofa. "It's pretty boring, actually."

"You deal with real magic every day. Why do you read about such nonsense?"

"Fiction is a lot less scary." Amelia smiled at him before nestling deeper into the thick blankets.

"Comfortable?" He asked, laying flat on his back, but turning is head to look at Amelia. She nodded as her eyes fluttered shut. 

"Goodnight, Geralt."

"Goodnight, princess."