Chapter 9

WARNING: This story contains mature themes and is intended for mature readers.

ISABELLA STANLEY

For weeks I had been left alone in this room. They locked me in here, and deadbolted the doors and windows in the bedroom and bathroom. James didn't stay with me any longer than was necessary. He would only make sure I ate and then he would leave, locking me in this room and leaving me all alone.

There was nothing in here, nothing to do, no TV, not even a book or a magazine. I didn't know what was worse, being left alone, or being left alone and having too much time to think?

I sat by the window looking out. It was light outside, which meant it was daytime, although I had no idea what day or even what month it was. There was ice on the branches of the trees and ice on the ground. It looked ridiculously cold, and I would give anything right now to be able to go outside or even open a window and have that cold air hit my face.

It's amazing the things we take for granted. I was never a fan of the winter months, but right now I would give anything to be able to feel it.

I thought of my mom and dad. I didn't want to focus on the negative, I didn't want to focus on the pain they must be in, especially mom.

Mom was such a sensitive person, she always took things to heart, she always cried for others.

What must they be going through?

I closed my eyes and leaned my head back against the wall. I let the tears fall, it was effortless now because the only thing I could do here was cry, weep for everything and everyone that has been taken away from me.

My parents.

My family, friends.

My life, my dancing. I had worked so hard for that scholarship and for what? What was the point now?

Now, I didn't know if I would be alive tomorrow. I didn't know when Anthony, or Edwin, possibly even James, would come in here and end me.

I heard the click of the door as someone unlocked it. I heard footsteps approach me, but I didn't look up, I didn't open my eyes.

He grabbed a hold of my good hand and pulled me up to my feet.

I opened my eyes, James wrapped his arms around me. I rested my head on his chest and held onto him as tight as I could. He held me with the same strength and let me cry into his chest. I made his shirt a wet mess, but it didn't seem to bother him. He let me cry, he let me get it all out.

James didn't say a word, he didn't need to. The silence was more than enough for me.

When my tears were all dried up, when I had nothing left, I let go of him and stepped out of his arms.

"Better?" He asked, with genuine kindness.

"Not really," I sighed and sat back down in my spot by the window.